Specifying out a new system

Ditchinit

Quasi-regular
Due to a recent unfortunate series of events, I'm at the point where I need to build a new computer system. My intentions were to wait until after the next generation of hardware came out, as I expect the confluence of new technologies brought about in the current generation will have matured by then. However, I can no longer wait and I will have to make due with the foibles of the current generation ... or at least, the compromises of those items that are reasonably available. I've been researching products haphazardly in spare time, and I've started a wishlist, but it is far from complete. This is where you all can come in and help by using your first hand experience to point me in a good direction.

I live and work in a very rural area, not on the road system, so all things will have to be mail ordered. I can't just pop over to the local Micro Center or Best Buy (ain't got one). Working correctly right out of the box is important.

My system configuration philosophy (ooh, lookit me bein' all fancy 'n stuff) ... I'm not afraid to spend for top shelf, but I expect expensive hardware to perform for the long haul. I'm not interested in flash-in-the-pan technology that is here today and gone tomorrow. I prefer a solid build that will not become outrageously outdated next week. In that vein, I place low priority on burgeoning unproven technologies that may not see widespread adoption (I'm looking at you 3D television and Google Glass). I also like KISS (keep it stupid simple) ... meaning, once the system is built, it won't require any maintenance other than blowing out the dust every now and then. That means a custom water loop is not gonna happen. I'm willing to stretch to an AIO but I'm not yet convinced these aren't a disaster waiting for the most inopportune time to strike. I set my expectations low so I'm not disappointed when they happen, but I am pleasantly surprised when they don't. It's hard to go wrong with air. On the other hand, air is not all that efficient of a cooling medium for today's high wattage systems especially since the trade off is fan noise ... and I love me some quiet systems. So I'm willing to risk AIO for CPU and GPU ... preferably with the largest set of radiators that will fit in the case (more on that below) ... most likely 2 x 360mm. Efficiently heat transfer though large radiators helps keep fan noise down.

I've already decided that the CPU will be LGA 1700 from team blue. That's somewhat non-negotiable. I'm not yet convinced an i9-12900KS is worth the extra $150 over an i9-12900K, but I can be convinced otherwise. That means the new motherboard will be Z690. Would be awesome if the board can be upgraded to 13th gen CPU in bios, but I'm not certain what I'll be missing out from the next gen chipset, Z790, when that happens.

I like the idea of DDR5, but I was waiting for it to mature before jumping in. I know some of you have had trial and success with different combinations of motherboard and DDR5 memory, and you can help me avoid the trial pitfalls by recommending solid and known-to-work-well-out-of-the-box combinations ... e.g., this DDR5 memory with this motherboard. I understand 32GB is the current recommended minimum, and 64GB is the preferred enthusiast amount. Please correct me if that's not true.

I recently ordered an EVGA 3090ti wtf-ultra-bbq hybrid too-many-part-numbers-to-remember ... it's in that other thread. So that decision is made. Also made is the power supply which will be an EVGA 1600w P+ ... also in another thread. I should have plenty of power capacity.

I'm pretty particular on the case, and I have an odd setup where I don't have a lot of room for a massive case. The case for this system will sit high on top of the hutch over my display monitors. With that, the power button and ports cannot be on top as is the situation, much to my disappointment, with 99% of cases on the market (a little hyperbole there). Front or side buttons/ports are preferable to using a step ladder to power on the system. I came across (but cannot re-find) a case that allowed the buttons and ports to be moved to the bottom feet (do you know which one that is?). I'm also ambivalent about RGB bling and glass windows, preferring noise dampening instead of carnival lights. Did I mention I love me a quiet system? But the case should be capable of mounting two 360mm AIO radiators and have enough airflow for heat dissipation (without totally compromising sound dampening). Ideally, the case would also be reversed ... meaning that the motherboard would mount to the left side with the window (if present) on the right - if no window, then being reversed doesn't matter as much. Reversed cases are rare as hen's teeth, and my expectations of finding a good one meeting all my other criteria are low. Prove me wrong.

I have three SATA SSDs that I'd like to transfer into the new system (want not need). The latest is a 4TB Samsung EVO [big number] but also an older 250GB (system) and a not-quite-as-old 1TB (gaming). They're currently installed in a 5.25" 4-port hotswap bay, which I'd like to keep but I will understand if the new case doesn't have room. I know 5.25" bays are going the way of the dodo ... or 3.5" floppy drive ... whichever. Do I need any of those fancy M.2 SSDs? Educate me on why I need one (or more) instead.

Eventually I want to get a decent 4k multi-monitor setup, but I can get by with my 2007 vintage 20-30-20 PLP setup for the short term.

Ok ... time for me to shut up. Here's a template you can use to cut and paste for your recommendations (or you do you and reply piecemeal to the post paragraphs above). Specific models recommended for me to look into are appreciated. Links are not necessary but the extra effort is appreciated (I am capable of Googling given a hint on what to look for).

• Motherboard

• CPU

• CPU AIO cooler

• Memory (brand and size, coordinated with MB)

• Data Storage

• Case

• Questions?

[edit to add] @Grimlakin asked a really great question in that other thread. What do I want? I do a lot of stuff on my computer ... but I don't do high end photo editing or video encoding. Peak gaming performance is a worthy goal ... but without all that "gamer culture" crap. My home office is relatively professional yet comfortable (even though do I have a shark with a frikkin' laser ... errm ... laser pointer - everyone needs something to keep them grounded ;) ). What I'm interested in is buying sufficient overhead capacity to last a long time until the next mandatory upgrade.

Last edited:
On the other hand, the ports are also still important for when I need to plug in a thumb drive or other designated use.
If it’s just the occasional thumb drive or peripheral - a USB hub gets it down to where it’s more convenient. Granted if you are needing something a bit more high speed you probably want that directly on the computer, but I’d imagine something like a DVD burner or something you would just hook up once and leave it hooked up (or at least leave the cable hooked up)

It’s your system, I’m just trying to help open up options, as finding that upside down case may be fairly difficult to do

I like the idea of DDR5, but I was waiting for it to mature before jumping in. I know some of you have had trial and success with different combinations of motherboard and DDR5 memory, and you can help me avoid the trial pitfalls by recommending solid and known-to-work-well-out-of-the-box combinations ... e.g., this DDR5 memory with this motherboard. I understand 32GB is the current recommended minimum, and 64GB is the preferred enthusiast amount. Please correct me if that's not true.
Well, so, basically, anything other than 32GB of DDR5 is an adventure. 64GB from what I've seen means slower speeds and timings and eye-watering prices for the fastest stuff (~US$600). And apparently the current 8GB modules (not what you're looking for) are penalized in performance.

That said, your board is MSI's MEG Z690 Unify-X. This board specifically has only two memory slots, which maximized memory compatibility as well as tunability. If you're up for ITX, then the MEG Z690I Unify has similar advantages. Both are top-tier overclocking boards.

But if you're not going DDR5, it almost makes more sense to go AMD with a 5800X3D (and that only). That CPU is far less picky about memory, even for an AMD DDR4 part, and the boards are significantly cheaper. Or better configured at higher price points.

CPU AIO cooler
Arctic Freezer II in 360mm or 420mm, whichever you can fit. Note that the radiators are thicker than usual, as are the fans - and this is what makes them the superior option, other than price. These are usually very affordable as well.

Memory (brand and size, coordinated with MB)
Depends entirely on your CPU and board selection.

Data Storage
I'd recommend NVMe going forward - depending on the board you pick up, you can install anywhere between three and five NVMe drives.

Might look at Lian Li's O11-D EVO? It's modularly designed for flipped builds as well as having relocatable external USB ports and so on.

Questions?
Biggest question is performance related. If you're sticking with a 12900K(S), you might want to hunt down some high-end DDR4 that you can run 64GB of. 32GB is far easier to find, though still not necessarily cheaper.

If wanting to run DDR5, you'll want to hunt down some that uses Hynix ICs.

I'm running two Intel systems with 12th gen. I will let the specs in my signature speak for themselves. I am running DDR5 and DDR4 as well. Both systems have been rock solid with various changes over the year.

Don't waste your money on a 12900KS when a 12900K will do just fine.

Case wise that is up to you. If you are looking at a larger case than I have had great luck with the 7000 series from Corsair. I recently got the H7 Flow from NZXT and like that as well. The 4000D case in my second PC is good as also, but a little more cramped.

Well, so, basically, anything other than 32GB of DDR5 is an adventure. 64GB from what I've seen means slower speeds and timings and eye-watering prices for the fastest stuff (~US$600). And apparently the current 8GB modules (not what you're looking for) are penalized in performance.

That said, your board is MSI's MEG Z690 Unify-X. This board specifically has only two memory slots, which maximized memory compatibility as well as tunability. If you're up for ITX, then the MEG Z690I Unify has similar advantages. Both are top-tier overclocking boards.

But if you're not going DDR5, it almost makes more sense to go AMD with a 5800X3D (and that only). That CPU is far less picky about memory, even for an AMD DDR4 part, and the boards are significantly cheaper. Or better configured at higher price points.

Arctic Freezer II in 360mm or 420mm, whichever you can fit. Note that the radiators are thicker than usual, as are the fans - and this is what makes them the superior option, other than price. These are usually very affordable as well.

Depends entirely on your CPU and board selection.

I'd recommend NVMe going forward - depending on the board you pick up, you can install anywhere between three and five NVMe drives.

Might look at Lian Li's O11-D EVO? It's modularly designed for flipped builds as well as having relocatable external USB ports and so on.

Biggest question is performance related. If you're sticking with a 12900K(S), you might want to hunt down some high-end DDR4 that you can run 64GB of. 32GB is far easier to find, though still not necessarily cheaper.

If wanting to run DDR5, you'll want to hunt down some that uses Hynix ICs.

Good thoughts, thanks. And yes, it was the Lian Li Dynamic EVO 011 Dex I had previously seen but couldn't remember. I think the reasons I set it aside were two-fold: it may be too wide for where it must go, and they have a disclaimer that the radiators must be no greater than 87.5mm total - assuming with fans - and I'm still looking for information about the various AIO radiator thicknesses.

I may just try to figure a way to rearrange furnishings so the case can have more room instead of being predestined to sitting atop the hutch where my current case sits. The current case is an Antec P83 or P85 - I don't recall precisely.

Last edited:
So the parts are ordered and on their way. I went with the Lian Li case, and hope I don't have misgivings about compromising on silence since it's basically a reconfigurable mesh shell without much sound dampening; in that regard, I suspect it's not much quieter than an open bench.

I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions offered above.

So the parts are ordered and on their way. I went with the Lian Li case, and hope I don't have misgivings about compromising on silence since it's basically a reconfigurable mesh shell without much sound dampening; in that regard, I suspect it's not much quieter than an open bench.

I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions offered above.
So, basically, your case is going to be as loud (or not) as the components inside. I've had several Fractal Design Define R-series cases as well as the old Antec P180 that kicked off that style of case - and nice as they all were, they simply weren't 'quiet'.

Basically, you either a) need to go way out of your way to accomplish sound dampening, like putting the case in another room, or b), just make the system quiet as-is. Larger cases help here as they allow for more fans to be used, which means that you can run lower fan speeds for a given amount of power draw that requires cooling.

So, basically, your case is going to be as loud (or not) as the components inside. I've had several Fractal Design Define R-series cases as well as the old Antec P180 that kicked off that style of case - and nice as they all were, they simply weren't 'quiet'.

Basically, you either a) need to go way out of your way to accomplish sound dampening, like putting the case in another room, or b), just make the system quiet as-is. Larger cases help here as they allow for more fans to be used, which means that you can run lower fan speeds for a given amount of power draw that requires cooling.

I think I'm still in shock recovery after running a GTX470 (vacuum cleaner noise levels) in the same system as a stock Intel CPU cooler many years ago; that system had a generic metal mid-tower case and sat at less than arm's length away and was horribly loud. I built my next system in an Antec P85 (and later systems in a P83 - or was it the other way around? I forget) along with the 660ti and a Noctua cooler on the CPU, the difference was like night and day. It also helped that I swapped out the stock fans for Gentle Typhoons. So yes, with effort the sound levels can be reduced even if they cannot be made imperceptible.

I strongly considered going with a Fractal Define 7, but it wouldn't have been large enough for both radiators (or at least I couldn't find definitive proof it would fit two 360mm radiators at the same time). I like the clean lines and enclosed style. I also looked closely at the Define 7 XL, but it would have been too tall and the power button/ports are on the top of the case (a bit of a reach).

I still have a short stack of GTs and Noctuas, and I don't really need RGB bling, so I'll have to see if swapping out for less fan noise is still an option.

I will offer this as well as you mentioned ports. With a combination of the button above and a thunderbolt port expander/replicator you could get pretty much all of your connections you need down away from the PC and on your desk. have plenty of USB and memory card readers on hand as needed just direct connect your monitors. Since you're going Intel the availability of a thunderbolt port is increased.

Well ... I guess I get to order the case again. The glass on the first one came shattered. Most other pieces have arrived but I'm still missing a few key ingredients. Crossing fingers that this is the first and only RMA needed for this build.

Well ... I guess I get to order the case again. The glass on the first one came shattered. Most other pieces have arrived but I'm still missing a few key ingredients. Crossing fingers that this is the first and only RMA needed for this build.
Good luck man look forward to hearing how much you love the new build. :)

Become a Patron!
Back