STAR WARS™: Squadrons out today :)

Auer

FPS Regular
Out today, there goes the weekend :)

I've played a little bit of the single player story. So far, I like the combat, cockpit designs and visuals. The basic gameplay is nice. For those of us who were looking for an evolution of the Battlefront 2 starfighter assault mode, I think you'll be pleased with that aspect of the game. However, the way much of the story is presented is lackluster. I'm about an hour and some change through it and the characters and storyline just aren't doing it for me.

I've played a little bit of the single player story. So far, I like the combat, cockpit designs and visuals. The basic gameplay is nice. For those of us who were looking for an evolution of the Battlefront 2 starfighter assault mode, I think you'll be pleased with that aspect of the game. However, the way much of the story is presented is lackluster. I'm about an hour and some change through it and the characters and storyline just aren't doing it for me.
I agree, but I wasn't expecting any story really, just wanted some Multiplayer and quick match space dogfights with a SW theme :)

Pro tip - Get Rocket League for free from Epic Game Store, then you get a $10 coupon, apply to Squadrons purchase.

I plan to pick this up as a spiritual successor to Xwing/TieFighter/XvT games more so than anything else in this series. Multiplayer dogfighting should be fun!`

I think I'm going to get this on ps4 since it's basically an expansion of the starfighter mode from SWBF2, which I played on PS4 anyway. Why learn new controls, LOL.

I have a feeling this will be $20 really quick, but I'm dumb and impatient and starfighter assault is the only mode I really want to like from BF2. It will be nice not to have to play the stupid clone wars maps.

I read however that this new one only has like 6 multiplayer maps? I guess that's better than the 3 that BF2 has, but still.

Someone please tell me they have ditched the stupid star cards / power up cards? Or the ability to unlock super powered ships? Those are the things that make me hate starfighter on BF2.

I plan to pick this up as a spiritual successor to Xwing/TieFighter/XvT games more so than anything else in this series. Multiplayer dogfighting should be fun!`
It certianly isn't that. The campaign is basically a glorified tutorial for a multiplayer game, and the missions are extremely simplistic, and the controls needlessly complicated, the enemy AI cheats, the balance is sacrificed for online play, therefore a Tie Fighter is as durable as an X-Wing in it.

Thankfully in my endless wisdom I joined EA PLay to try it out, so I didn't waste my money needlessly on it.

Oh and I almost forgot: Don't plan to play it with a stick as it is broken in the game as of release, there is a fixed 50% dead zone that can't be turned off.

OK so I spent some hours on this yesterday in practice and campaign mode. Here are my thoughts (PS4)...

TLDR - I should have waited a month until they fix bugs and it gets down to $25.

A) Your teammates will prattle on about nonsense aka "backstory". It's not interactive. Listen to it, or don't, it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the game. I listened to them drone on a couple times, after that I just skip it.
B) Implemented in-mission "fix it" powerup that allows you to repair damage in your ships, yes even the lowly tie fighter. It is unlimited but you do have to wait for it to cool down / recharge. Also I noticed in practice mode some of your ships have a "repair" field that basically does the same thing. Why is this worth mentioning? Because now the tie fighter is just as powerful as an x-wing, even though you don't have shields. You can attack, run away, repair, and resume attacking. Now maybe in multiplayer games this won't be as much of a problem since those go faster and humans are probably smarter opponents than the AI is.
C) The controls are similar (gamepad anyway) to BF2, but not exactly the same. And I usually am in the habit of slowing down to turn faster anyway, but in Squadrons, I somehow keep reducing my throttle to zero instead of just reducing it. I don't recall ever going to zero in BF2. Maybe it's just something to get used to.
D) You are locked into cockpit mode, although I read you can turn off the hud in multiplayer. But you're still in the cockpit. For the xwing, this isn't too bad, but in the tie it SUCKS BALLS because your field of vision is so tiny. I really, REALLY, do not like this. I would much prefer the ability to either switch to a 3rd person (BF2) or floating hud in space with no cockpit (which was how I played xwing).
E) Switching between targets is a PITA. You can hit X (or whatever it is on pc/xbox) to target next enemy, but this isn't always the closest and doesn't always mean it's the guy who's blasting you to bits from the rear. I have not discovered a way to target my attacker yet. Or target what is directly in front of me. This might be a control learning issue on my end. (for example, in BF2 you used left trigger to lock on and zoom on an enemy. This was fine, they didn't need to change this. But it's gone, now left trigger pulls up this mission wheel with game options. WHY??? That could literally be ANY other button, not a trigger button. Maybe I can re-arrange, still messing with it. But the left trigger zoom/lock from BF2 is gone and no replacement.
F) The campaign is boring at best so far.
G) I do not know this for certain because I am still new, but I read on reddit there is not private lobby for multiplayer. This blows, if true.
H) The controls are touchy/fiddly and it gets worse the faster you are going. And one thing I really hated about BF2 was tons of floating debris to crash into... well it's worse here when you going full throttle and trying to evade missile locks and there is tons of space trash everywhere.
I) While on the topic of missiles.... finally we get countermeasures, but you only get like 3. Those go really quick. And sometimes I would get popped with a missile immediately after I hear "enemy is trying to lock on to you" then pow, dead.

Bugs... I haven't run into any game breaking bugs on PS4 like PC gamers are reporting. But there are lots of little ones. Texture pop, missing textures, weird sound issues, etc. The textures/graphics quality is very different when you are on the frigates rather than in the cockpit, almost like different resolutions... this thing needed more time to polish, but in typical EA fashion they shoved it out the door and will patch it later (maybe).

Anyway, some decisions were made about gameplay that I don't agree with. Like they could have just taken BF2 fighter squadrons and added missions or multiplayer. They didn't have to change how the game plays, but they did. And I'm not certain I like it.

I don't know who this game is for. It's not for hardcore x-wing fans, way too simple for that. It's not for the BF2 fans, too different/complicated for that. Hell it's not even as good as Rogue Squadron.

Right now, until they patch/change some things, this game is a 6/10 at best, and I don't have a multiplayer opinion yet. As a huge xwing fan, this was not what I had hoped.

Skip it for now and wait for it to be $20. I am kicking myself for thinking EA had improved.

edit - ok I figured out how to target in front (quick L2/trigger, holding brings up the stupid wheel) and target attacker, double X. That helped a little

Last edited:
Cockpit mode doesn't have to mean 3/4 of your vision is blocked. For crying out loud it has the largest panoramic windows of all craft, in the OG Games you had the best visibility in Ties. As it should be to compensate for their lack of defences. This is just bad game design on many levels what we have here in squadrons.

Here are my first and last impressions: http://madblog.shacknet.us/so-close-yet-so-far-away/

OK so I spent some hours on this yesterday in practice and campaign mode. Here are my thoughts (PS4)...

TLDR - I should have waited a month until they fix bugs and it gets down to $25.

A) Your teammates will prattle on about nonsense aka "backstory". It's not interactive. Listen to it, or don't, it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the game. I listened to them drone on a couple times, after that I just skip it.
B) Implemented in-mission "fix it" powerup that allows you to repair damage in your ships, yes even the lowly tie fighter. It is unlimited but you do have to wait for it to cool down / recharge. Also I noticed in practice mode some of your ships have a "repair" field that basically does the same thing. Why is this worth mentioning? Because now the tie fighter is just as powerful as an x-wing, even though you don't have shields. You can attack, run away, repair, and resume attacking. Now maybe in multiplayer games this won't be as much of a problem since those go faster and humans are probably smarter opponents than the AI is.
C) The controls are similar (gamepad anyway) to BF2, but not exactly the same. And I usually am in the habit of slowing down to turn faster anyway, but in Squadrons, I somehow keep reducing my throttle to zero instead of just reducing it. I don't recall ever going to zero in BF2. Maybe it's just something to get used to.
D) You are locked into cockpit mode, although I read you can turn off the hud in multiplayer. But you're still in the cockpit. For the xwing, this isn't too bad, but in the tie it SUCKS BALLS because your field of vision is so tiny. I really, REALLY, do not like this. I would much prefer the ability to either switch to a 3rd person (BF2) or floating hud in space with no cockpit (which was how I played xwing).
E) Switching between targets is a PITA. You can hit X (or whatever it is on pc/xbox) to target next enemy, but this isn't always the closest and doesn't always mean it's the guy who's blasting you to bits from the rear. I have not discovered a way to target my attacker yet. Or target what is directly in front of me. This might be a control learning issue on my end. (for example, in BF2 you used left trigger to lock on and zoom on an enemy. This was fine, they didn't need to change this. But it's gone, now left trigger pulls up this mission wheel with game options. WHY??? That could literally be ANY other button, not a trigger button. Maybe I can re-arrange, still messing with it. But the left trigger zoom/lock from BF2 is gone and no replacement.
F) The campaign is boring at best so far.
G) I do not know this for certain because I am still new, but I read on reddit there is not private lobby for multiplayer. This blows, if true.
H) The controls are touchy/fiddly and it gets worse the faster you are going. And one thing I really hated about BF2 was tons of floating debris to crash into... well it's worse here when you going full throttle and trying to evade missile locks and there is tons of space trash everywhere.
I) While on the topic of missiles.... finally we get countermeasures, but you only get like 3. Those go really quick. And sometimes I would get popped with a missile immediately after I hear "enemy is trying to lock on to you" then pow, dead.

Bugs... I haven't run into any game breaking bugs on PS4 like PC gamers are reporting. But there are lots of little ones. Texture pop, missing textures, weird sound issues, etc. The textures/graphics quality is very different when you are on the frigates rather than in the cockpit, almost like different resolutions... this thing needed more time to polish, but in typical EA fashion they shoved it out the door and will patch it later (maybe).

Anyway, some decisions were made about gameplay that I don't agree with. Like they could have just taken BF2 fighter squadrons and added missions or multiplayer. They didn't have to change how the game plays, but they did. And I'm not certain I like it.

I don't know who this game is for. It's not for hardcore x-wing fans, way too simple for that. It's not for the BF2 fans, too different/complicated for that. Hell it's not even as good as Rogue Squadron.

Right now, until they patch/change some things, this game is a 6/10 at best, and I don't have a multiplayer opinion yet. As a huge xwing fan, this was not what I had hoped.

Skip it for now and wait for it to be $20. I am kicking myself for thinking EA had improved.

edit - ok I figured out how to target in front (quick L2/trigger, holding brings up the stupid wheel) and target attacker, double X. That helped a little
The touchy controls are related to the deadzone that you can't eliminate. It's probably not as noticeable with a controller, but it's still there. Even though there is a deadzone option in the game, 0% means 50'ish% in reality. How anyone thought this was okay in testing is baffling.

Again, it's EA. Whenever I see something coming from EA that looks like they may actually be doing right for a change I will take a step back and wait to see what happens at release. Anthem is the last time I will ever let myself be burned by EA.

This sounds awful, I had high hopes and really want an impressive new Star Wars flight game.
Thanks to everyone who posted about it.

Cockpit mode doesn't have to mean 3/4 of your vision is blocked. For crying out loud it has the largest panoramic windows of all craft, in the OG Games you had the best visibility in Ties. As it should be to compensate for their lack of defences. This is just bad game design on many levels what we have here in squadrons.

Here are my first and last impressions: http://madblog.shacknet.us/so-close-yet-so-far-away/
My work doesn't like Shacknet, apparently.

1601904893699.png

Probably just touchy settings. Understandable for a workplace. It's a dyn address, a lot of people use those for not so reputable purposes.
I get the warning from Google's DNS at home, too, but I just ignore it there. Seems there is malware attributed to a "shacknet.nu," so maybe they are just blocking the word "shacknet."

Become a Patron!
Back