Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace Re-Release Earns over $8 Million in Its Opening Weekend, Beating Newcomers Challengers and Tarot

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace is back in theaters as part of its 25th anniversary celebrations, and it's doing better than expected, according to charts that show how the prequel film from George Lucas managed to earn over $8 million this weekend in the domestic market, beating out more recent features that include Challengers (April 26) and Tarot (May 3), a new movie that follows a group of friends that "unknowingly unleash an unspeakable evil trapped within…cursed cards."

See full article...

That's good to hear. It only began to be trendy to hate on the prequels about 10 years ago. When they first came out, most people, me included, really likes them. Yeah Jar Jar was universally hates but otherwise I thought they were great.

In the old movies the force was no big deal.... It just meant you could move some things around with your mind. But in the prequels, it meant you were basically a superhero! I thought that was much cooler.

It only began to be trendy to hate on the prequels about 10 years ago.
Not from what I've seen. Seems to me the world at large has been hating on them since the 2000s, long before Ep7-9 showed up. If anything, Ep7-9 has made people appreciate Ep1-3 more. I think the overall opinion of Ep1-3 has gone up since Ep7-9 came out.

When they first came out, most people, me included, really likes them.
I only liked the pod racing and the lightsaber battles, and I felt that way from the get-go. It seems to me over the last 20+ years that the only things most people really liked about the movie was one or the other of these things, or both.

In the old movies the force was no big deal.... It just meant you could move some things around with your mind. But in the prequels, it meant you were basically a superhero! I thought that was much cooler.
Ep5 had Force Jump, the original trilogy (Ep4-6) had Jedi Mind Trick, Force Push, Force Choke, and Force Lightning (and Force Grab as you mentioned), and probably some others I am forgetting. The prequel trilogy did have Force Speed (which may have also been in the original trilogy but I don't recall), but really if you were even a tiny bit familiar with the Extended Universe from the games, books, or comics, then nothing in the prequel trilogy was a surprise in terms of Force powers. It did show the Jedi closer to the height of their powers and abilities, but I never felt like the Force was "no big deal" in the original trilogy, and I did not feel that the prequel trilogy did anything to make the Force seem more impressive. I got the same general feeling about the Force from both the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy. And in general they both had the same display of powers.

Jar jar and mitochlorians killed it for me. Ep3 wasn’t too bad, but we all knew the plot going in

The prequels weren't that bad IMO. The newer movies were worse by far, especially with the channeling the life force to heal someone appeared all of a sudden. Just too many oddities to really get into them.

Maybe not but Hayden Christensen as Anakin is imo still one of the worst casting choices of all time
I'm not a fan of his acting much either, but I can also sympathize with the poor dialogue that was given to him. Awkward would best describe both IMO.

I'm not a fan of his acting much either, but I can also sympathize with the poor dialogue that was given to him. Awkward would best describe both IMO.
After seeing him in Asoka and Obi wan. I fully blame George Lucas. He needed a better director to present his creative vision and get good acting out of the actors.

After seeing him in Asoka and Obi wan. I fully blame George Lucas. He needed a better director to present his creative vision and get good acting out of the actors.
He barely acted in those, it's all memberberries and "he vadered".

Thank you, but I'll take the prequels over asoka and obiwan every day of the year. I never hated them to begin with they were just kind of forgettable, esp. 2 and 3.

He barely acted in those, it's all memberberries and "he vadered".

Thank you, but I'll take the prequels over asoka and obiwan every day of the year. I never hated them to begin with they were just kind of forgettable, esp. 2 and 3.
I disagree. Episode 2 was better than one and 3 was expected but the series have been far better.

The Asoka / Obiwan series are like the Fallout TV show. For the superficial viewer they might seem good, but if you actually try to make sense of the writing they fall apart. They ruin a bunch of established lore and characters. EP1-3 at least doesn't do that.

The Asoka / Obiwan series are like the Fallout TV show. For the superficial viewer they might seem good, but if you actually try to make sense of the writing they fall apart. They ruin a bunch of established lore and characters. EP1-3 at least doesn't do that.
LOL, I love how you insult anyone who enjoyed the show and Fallout 3. Clearly you're the only opinion that is worthy of acknowledgement or opinions that match your own.

Your opinion is now actually worthless to me.

Become a Patron!
Back