Star Wars: TIE Fighter Gets a Complete Graphical Overhaul with TIE Fighter: Total Conversion Mod

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
star-wars-tie-fighter-special-edition-key-visual-1024x576.jpg
Image: LucasArts

EA Motive’s Star Wars: Squadrons has been well received for being a commendable follow-up to LucasArts’ classic space flight simulator and space combat games, but for many, 1994’s Star Wars: TIE Fighter remains king due to its combination of enjoyable gameplay and epic campaign, which transported players into the ranks of the Empire. TIE Fighter fans who want to experience the game again in a different way can now check out TIE Fighter: Total Conversion (TFTC), a mod for 1999’s Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance that ports the TIE Fighter experience (e.g., menus and missions) into its sequel’s more robust engine. The end result is a version of TIE Fighter that features dramatically improved visuals over the original. TIE Fighter: Total Conversion also includes modern tweaks, a remastered soundtrack, widescreen resolution options, and even VR...

Continue reading...

doesn't look that good, too much lens flare. But since I already have x-wing alliance, I'm going to try it.

This was helpful

I actually lost my physical copy of XWA a long time ago (I loaned it to someone who never returned it) so I wasn't looking forward to buying that again for $10... especially when I have Tie Fighter on steam already. But I searched my humble bundle backlog.. and presto it was in there. Once again, Humble Bundle saves the day... and $10. I am downloading the mod files now... that site is painfully slow.

Last edited:
I should explore this when I get a chance. I have x wing and tie fighter on steam. I doubt I can find my 3.5" install discs, quickly at least.

I wonder if my Gravis gamepad still works? Let alone a sound card to connect it too.

I do have a Soyo board with a Intel Presshot box in storage......

I have enough crap. The girl would shoot me mayhaps.

I should explore this when I get a chance. I have x wing and tie fighter on steam. I doubt I can find my 3.5" install discs, quickly at least.

I wonder if my Gravis gamepad still works? Let alone a sound card to connect it too.

I do have a Soyo board with a Intel Presshot box in storage......

I have enough crap. The girl would shoot me mayhaps.

X-wing on a gravis 2d gamepad? Hell no. Bust out the flight stick. I have an ancient logitech one in the closet.

And you'll want a modern system for this, the graphic updates are huge. Check out the YT vids on it.

Oh yeah. Back in the day that Gravis was my friend with the x wing tie fighter games.

I am however going to tackle the updated version with better hardware and a Steam controller. 😁

Welp I screwed around with this for a bit and while the in flight graphics look pretty good... everything else about the game is a jarring leap back to the 90's..... screwed around forever with joystick config, finding the right key bindings, tons of other settings. All the crap we used to go through to play games back then. It took me forever just to complete the first training course with the rings. I dunno I'm going to have to be in just the right mood to play this. Also I haven't touched my ancient logitech extreme 3d joystick in eons and it just isn't clicking for me, maybe I have become too accustomed to gamepads.

edit - but hey it allows a 3rd person view which I really miss in Squadrons....

Last edited:
Lord have mercy..... That's a lot of stuff to do. I give up and am going drinking.....

Alright.... I finished it. It's aight

Last edited:
Meh, you got my hopes up as I thought this was something official, but only a mod for a 27 year old game, to make it look like a 22 year old one? I'm not sure that's worth the effort. Tie Fighter was already pretty close to XWA in the cd collectors series which updated it to XvT graphics.

Become a Patron!
Back