Street Fighter Godfather Yoshinori Ono Leaving Capcom

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
street-fighter-v-ryu-chun-li-1024x576.jpg
Image: Capcom

It’s the end of an era for Capcom’s biggest fighting franchise. Yoshinori Ono, producer and driving force behind Street Fighter, has announced that he’s leaving the company this summer. Obviously, this has big implications for the sixth installment, which is reportedly in development.

“I’ve been with the Street Fighter brand for a long time, experiencing good times, bad times, and even non-existent times,” Ono wrote in a tweet to fans this morning. “My heart is filled with appreciation to those players who’ve been giving warm and kind support on the brand especially little over the past decade or so as all the activities on the Street Fighter brand regained sunshine and grew its liveliness.”

pic.twitter.com/ym2pFtgZqy— Yoshinori Ono...

Continue reading...

Well gawd ****. I heard that after recent SF6 builds hadn't been received very well internally, the higher-ups demoted him. Maybe he took it a little too hard. Capcom never treated him very well anyways. Capcom didn't even want to bring back the SF franchise before Ono busted his *** off to convince them of the merits of the IP, bringing us SF4. I'm no real fan of SF4 or 5 but I appreciated the work this guy did. He really put everything he had into this series, and the stuff he did at Capcom in general. He was also prone to overworking, and suffering health issues due to stress and working too much (much like Kirby and Super Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai), so maybe now he'll be healthier and live a little longer. I wonder what he plans on doing next. If I was him, I would just take it easy for a while. Well, I wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

I never knew anything about the guy. I liked the Street Fighter series overall though. I never played 5 though.

Sounds like another lead developer who's been through the development mill and left rung out and tired.

Developers only get rich when they spawn their own creation. Then sell it to a big studio for a healthy pay day. Once they do that well a time or two they can start making their own studio with the resources they have and go from there.

Hopefully the guy will reboot and come out with something fresh. How about... Super Street Mutant Ninja Stormtrooper Fighters?

Become a Patron!
Back