Super Mario 3D All-Stars Is Being Discontinued Today

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
super-mario-3d-all-stars-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Nintendo

Nintendo Switch owners who are interested in securing a copy of Super Mario 3D All-Stars will probably want to visit the Nintendo eShop or their favorite games retailer straight away, as the remastered collection of classic platformers (Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy) will no longer be sold in an official capacity after March 31. That includes both the physical and digital versions, which will be retired at the end of today. Nintendo never gave a reason as to why it decided to make Super Mario 3D All-Stars a limited-time release.

The physical version of Super Mario 3D All-Stars (released Sept. 18) will continue to be shipped to retailers and available for purchase through March 31, 2021 or while supplies last. The digital edition will be available to purchase through March 31, 2021. Once the digital edition has...

Continue reading...

I went against my no pre-order rule and pre-ordered this cuz I wanted a physical copy, and didn't want to be chasing down one with inflated prices later. The port of SM64 is @ss. Original aspect ratio, 30fps, and only 720p. The DX12 PC community port has full widescreen support, support for resolutions well above 720p, 60fps, and no reduced-polygon Mario character model when the camera pulls back (I even saw a mod with ray-tracing). This version was ported to Wii U where it enjoys full 1080p and 60fps. It was even released on the 3DS where again it has a wider aspect ratio and higher framerate than the official Switch version. SMSunshine's framerate is not as stable as the original Gamecube version's (and we had to wait for a patch to restore the normal Y-axis camera controls), but at least it runs at full 1080p and has 16:9 aspect ratio. SMGalaxy is the only game that improved in moving from Wii to Switch, especially due to the controls (although there is some color banding, and the colors appeared a bit washed out compared to the Wii original). The game was already 60fps on Wii so no need to improve that on Switch, but it does run at 1080p now.

This collection was overpriced (I paid $50) and very barebones. It didn't even have the same level of packaging and presentation that Super Mario All-Stars received when it was released on Wii for a previous Mario-related anniversary (I think it was the 25th anniversary). I'm still wondering why they didn't include Super Mario Galaxy 2. If you missed a chance to get Super Mario 3D All-Stars, don't beat yourself up about it. You're not missing much. I should've waited to grab it for free after soft-modding my Switch in the future. Ah well.

If you wanna play a good version of SM64, play the DX12 PC port. Stick with the GCN version of SMSunshine unless you really want that higher res and widescreen support. if you missed SMG the first time though, it's definitely a much better experience on Switch than on Wii. And let's not forget that all GCN and Wii games are available to play on PC via the Dolphin emulator (and N64 games via various emulators such as Project64).

I feel like Nintendo did this limited-time release bullsh1t just to force more people to make a quicker buying decision. I guess it worked, cuz they definitely made a sucker outta me. I forked over the cash specifically because of that. I mean yeah, I got a copy for my game collection, but eh. I expected better from this collection, especially for the price they were asking. Don't let devs strong-arm you into buying something with their sh1tty-@ss tactics like limited-time releases. I shoulda told Nintendo to go f*ck themselves, as I often do whenever they like to release old games for full price (look at pretty much all of their Wii U games on Switch). If the collection were $30 or less with a better port of SM64, and SMG2 included, I would have been more forgiving.

Nintendo has no right to complain about piracy when they pull stuff like this.

Last edited:
I feel like Nintendo did this limited-time release bullsh1t just to force more people to make a quicker buying decision.
"The collection of Mario games shot up 276% in sales week-on-week. The game was released to mark the 35th anniversary of the Super Mario franchise, and as a result is being discontinued from sale this week. Nintendo has been actively promoting the imminent delisting of the product, which has clearly boosted sales."

Become a Patron!
Back