The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD Announced for Nintendo Switch

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-hd-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Nintendo

A remastered version of Nintendo’s 2011 Zelda prequel for the Wii, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, is coming to the Nintendo Switch. The news was revealed during tonight’s Nintendo Direct livestream, which confirmed that the game would be available for purchase on July 16, 2021. In addition to improved visuals, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD will feature the addition of a button-only control scheme that enables the game to also be enjoyed on the Nintendo Switch Lite system, which lacks motion controllers.

“Take to the skies, draw your sword, and experience the earliest story in the Legend of Zelda series,” a description reads. “Join Link in his high-flying quest to save Zelda, a...

Continue reading...

I skipped this game on Wii cuz I couldn't stand the motion controls. I was hoping if they ported it to a new system, they would revamp the controls significantly. The solution they came up with for handheld/normal controller play I'm not sure is satisfactory (ie using the right stick to swing the sword), but I really can't say for sure until I try it out for myself. And I will definitely need to try it out before I can decide if I'm gonna try to finally play through the game. For my friends and I, this is the one 3D Zelda we keep forgetting exists.

What they need to do is bring over the HD remasters of Zelda TP and Zelda WW for Wii U over to Switch. TP got a nice upgrade in resolution, textures, graphics, and I enjoyed the widescreen view, but overall it was the same good ol Zelda TP. I preferred playing it on GCN cuz of the controller. The Wii U Pro Controller just didn't feel as good for this game (especially analog stick movement). Zelda WW was like a night-and-day difference though. It was one of the Zelda games I liked the least, but with the Wii U HD remaster, it shot up way high in my rankings. The quality of life improvements, liked the expanded draw distance and especially the Fast Sail, made my second time through WW waaaaaaaaaaay the f*ck better than the first time. Not to mention the higher res and widescreen view, among other things. I enjoyed the game a lot more, and I can appreciate the game much more now. GCN version no longer exists to me.

I also would not mind seeing the 3DS remasters of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask ported over to Switch.

Become a Patron!
Back