The new i9-10920x discontinued already or ???

nEo717

n00b
Intel just released (11-25-19) the new 10 series i9's including the i9-10920x - The Intel product page is gone, its no longer listed on Intel's Core X page - the Newegg listing I bought from shows may not be restocked. Has anyone heard anything on if some (or all) of the i9-10 series being discontinued just a couple of weeks after be launched?

Intel Product page was:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...x-series-processor-19-25m-cache-3-50-ghz.html

Core X listings (no 10920x):
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...es/123588/intel-core-x-series-processors.html

Newegg product page:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16819118110

We'll have to check with our contacts over at Intel to see (though, this is the sort of answer that usually gets a non-answer from manufacturers).

From a NewEgg perspective, having them showing out of stock and it may or may not be restocked is a fairly common thing for them. For the week after the 3950x was made available, that page was sitting in the same status. The ASUS RTX 2070 Super O8G we reviewed was similar - showed discontinued even though ASUS had told us a shipment was headed towards them. I wouldn't put much faith in that indicator being an indicator of discontinued or not.

We'll have to check with our contacts over at Intel to see (though, this is the sort of answer that usually gets a non-answer from manufacturers).

From a NewEgg perspective, having them showing out of stock and it may or may not be restocked is a fairly common thing for them. For the week after the 3950x was made available, that page was sitting in the same status. The ASUS RTX 2070 Super O8G we reviewed was similar - showed discontinued even though ASUS had told us a shipment was headed towards them. I wouldn't put much faith in that indicator being an indicator of discontinued or not.

Thank you...
I'm seeing a few more of the little e-tail companies change item status now too... (think they are pulling data out of techdata stream, and another Ingram stream). Maybe a part number change for some reason otherwise?

I asked Intel, we'll see what they say. It wouldn't surprise me if they dropped it. That was the 12 core model and it wouldn't look good against a 3900X. Neither does the 10900X, but that CPU isn't one people would expect to compete with the 3900X. That's a CPU you buy if you want a 9900K, but need HEDT features. Intel seems to need a two core advantage to compete directly.

I asked Intel, we'll see what they say. It wouldn't surprise me if they dropped it. That was the 12 core model and it wouldn't look good against a 3900X. Neither does the 10900X, but that CPU isn't one people would expect to compete with the 3900X. That's a CPU you buy if you want a 9900K, but need HEDT features. Intel seems to need a two core advantage to compete directly.

You nailed it (9900k w/HEDT) - Combined with there will always be some who must have Intel...

Combined with there will always be some who must have Intel...

True. While I don't see too many people that fall into that camp, there are some very good reasons to go this route. This is especially true in the HEDT market where someone might use their computer to make a living. That said, AMD had far less growing pains with its X399 platform than it did the mainstream segment chipsets. I imagine the same is true of TR40x, but I can't speak to that unfortunately.

True. While I don't see too many people that fall into that camp, there are some very good reasons to go this route. This is especially true in the HEDT market where someone might use their computer to make a living. That said, AMD had far less growing pains with its X399 platform than it did the mainstream segment chipsets. I imagine the same is true of TR40x, but I can't speak to that unfortunately.

AMD has really been in some ups and downs and come out on top - I was the senior engineer that built the first AMD Athlon 64 System for (not as employee of) AMD (way back that got all press back then, lol) - I still do some side work (validation, lots of game alpha and beta, hardware validation etc..) - AMD seems to looking to expand the HEDT line (more than 1 chipset, increase number of parts etc..) - I would love to see that platform simply become mainstream (but then again personally I use all add-in cards yet, 905P SSD, X550-T1, AE-9 Audio, Titan RTX and prefer them to be direct connected to CPU vs Chipset with many projects I mess with).

Become a Patron!
Back