The World’s First QHD 165 Hz Gaming Laptops Are Here

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
eluktronics-165-hz-laptops-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Eluktronics

Is 165 Hz overkill for a gaming laptop? If you asked Eluktronics, that’d be a resounding “no.” The Delaware-based premium performance PC manufacturer has launched the MECH-15 G3 QHD, MAX-15 QHD, and MAX-17, which happen to be the world’s first gaming laptops with QHD (1440p) 165 Hz displays.

Aside from the bigger screen size on the MAX-17 model, all three laptops appear to have very similar hardware configurations. They leverage an Intel i7-10870H CPUs (with Liquid Metal), NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, 16 GB of DDR4 RAM, and a 1 TB PCIe SSD.

“With QHD 165Hz, you can expect the most Crisp and Snappy experience out of any laptop on the market,” Eluktronics wrote. “You no longer have to choose between appearance and performance. We’ve brought this game changing display to our three most...

Continue reading...

I honestly don't understand why "Gaming Laptops" are such big sellers.

I understand that mobile GPU's are better today compared to desktop stuff than they were in the past, but even so, the ergonomics and layout of a laptop is such that if I had to play games on one, I just wouldn't play games.

One time, back in 2002, I tried to buy a laptop for gaming (they weren't gaming laptops back then, but it was beefy Dell with a discrete GPU), as I was in the service and spent a lot of time away from home and couldn't really game on anything else.

I regretted it immensely. The PS2 with a mini-LCD screen got a lot more use.

One time, back in 2002, I tried to buy a laptop for gaming (they weren't gaming laptops back then, but it was beefy Dell with a discrete GPU), as I was in the service and spent a lot of time away from home and couldn't really game on anything else.

I regretted it immensely. The PS2 with a mini-LCD screen got a lot more use.

I tried something similar. I built a DIY Vidock using an ExpressCard to PCIe 1x adapter and ran a desktop Radeon HD 6850 off of my work Dell Latitude using a separate windows install on a separate SSD I popped in just for the task (The Latitude's at the time had that little pop out drive caddy on the side, so it was an easy switch).

With an HDMI cable hooked up to the hotel room TV, I figured it would let me do some light gaming while traveling for work, using a mouse and keyboard I brought.

The performance was actually quite good, but the hotel network was too ****ty for any online games, and the position at the hotel TV was subpar. I did get a few hours of Civilization V in that way though.

My current laptop has an 8750H, I think, plus a 1070 mobile chip. Does quite well on the 1080p screen and gets a lot of use. I'm looking forward to a 5800U with about a 6700 mobile and Freesync next year. I really like the 14" size for a laptop so 1080p is a good fit, but for 15.6" I could see the benefit of 1440p.

Become a Patron!
Back