Thieves Cut Hole in Bathroom Wall, Escape with $500K Worth of Devices from Apple Store

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
You're guarding it wrong. Burglars have gotten away with what law enforcement said was $500,000 worth of merchandise, including iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watches, after they cut a hole through a shop's bathroom to gain access to its neighbor, an Apple Store, at Alderwood Mall. According to a map of the mall, this Apple Store is located between a Chico's and an espresso machine store called Seattle Coffee Gear, which is where the burglars breached through. While the theft happened after 7 p.m. on Sunday, Apple employees were not aware of the extent of the theft until the next morning, Lynnwood police reported.

See full article...

I'm more curious if the thieves were caught. I mean all of those IMEI numbers have to be on record so that means all of that hardware except for maybe the laptops are largely useless.

I love that the mall owners claim a robust security system. That lets thieves walk out with almost 500 assorted cell phones and tablets.... at night...

I mean seriously, do they have common record of that. Not to mention the coffee shop states that their door was pried open. There are some VERY BASIC security steps that would have alerted to that. Not to mention I would suspect that was done from the employee entrance side or back hall of the mall. Where cameras should ALSO be set up and recording and monitored at least by a decent off site security company.

Sigh... such a preventable and useless crime. I mean I'll give it to the criminals for thinking it through and executin well. I suppose they have the hardware/experteiese to reset the IMEI numbers and unlock the phones to use a 3rd party storefront. Something apple doesn't own or track.

Because if so... that's 500 burner phones released to the wild.

Become a Patron!
Back