Trying to improve gaming audio quality

One example of Ducky, full-size with many different switches available:

Check out the Corsair K70. You can get them with any switch you want. I use a K70 with MX Brown's.

I have one of these as my main. Even with Corsair's Doubleshot PBT keys and with O-rings installed, it's not nearly as solid or quiet as the Ducky I bought my wife.

As I said above, I wish it were as simple as picking out the switches you like, but I have too many examples of clackity keyboards that should be far quieter than they are.

I've had a K70 myself for a couple (? maybe longer) years now - mine has Cherry Speed switches in it. Wife has one with Cherry Reds for about a year.

The Speed switches aren't my favorite, but they are noticably quieter than the Reds. The keyboards have served us very well and I'd recommend them. The only complain I have about them is the Cue software is a bit bloated, but if you own anything else Corsair you probably are already running it, and the keyboard will work without it.

I've had a K70 myself for a couple (? maybe longer) years now - mine has Cherry Speed switches in it. Wife has one with Cherry Reds for about a year.

The Speed switches aren't my favorite, but they are noticably quieter than the Reds. The keyboards have served us very well and I'd recommend them. The only complain I have about them is the Cue software is a bit bloated, but if you own anything else Corsair you probably are already running it, and the keyboard will work without it.
I would love to get a Corsair keyboard with he MX Silent switches, but do they have any tactile feedback or are they linear?

The Silent Red and Black switches are linear. For the quietest tactile switch you're looking at Brown. You can o-ring mod them to quiet them down even more.

I would love to get a Corsair keyboard with he MX Silent switches, but do they have any tactile feedback or are they linear?

Here's a description straight from the source: the MX [Black | Red] Silent switches are slightly quieter versions of the standard MX Black and MX Red switches.

The difference between the two is the spring weight, where the MX Black switches have stronger springs.

As for 'quiet', while the MX Browns are certainly the quietest tactile switches of the Cherry MX line, they're never going to be truly quiet. O-rings help a little with the bottoming out sound but the tactile bump itself will make noise, and the 'return' noise will be there too. Those can be dampened by having a well-built keyboard (i.e., not something from Best Buy), but they won't be 'silent'.

An example of a Durgod keyboard with MX Browns:

This is a keyboard that I'm considering for myself, but with Silent Reds.

Here's a description straight from the source: the MX [Black | Red] Silent switches are slightly quieter versions of the standard MX Black and MX Red switches.

The difference between the two is the spring weight, where the MX Black switches have stronger springs.

As for 'quiet', while the MX Browns are certainly the quietest tactile switches of the Cherry MX line, they're never going to be truly quiet. O-rings help a little with the bottoming out sound but the tactile bump itself will make noise, and the 'return' noise will be there too. Those can be dampened by having a well-built keyboard (i.e., not something from Best Buy), but they won't be 'silent'.

An example of a Durgod keyboard with MX Browns:

This is a keyboard that I'm considering for myself, but with Silent Reds.
I absolutely love the tactile feedback of a keyboard. So I prefer to stay tactile. But browns and an o-ring mod doesn't sound too bad

Honestly, that's how my K70 with Brown's sounds.

You're just not going to get a tactile switch that is silent.

Become a Patron!
Back