TSMC Reportedly Agrees to Manufacture Intel CPUs on 3-Nanometer Process

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-core-new-logos-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

Some of Intel’s future Core processors will reportedly be manufactured on TSMC’s 3-nanometer process. The news stems from sources with DigiTimes, who claim that Intel has already signed a contract with the world’s top semiconductor manufacturing company. Intel is also expected to become TSMC’s second largest customer behind Apple.

“Sources from the semiconductor industry claim that Intel and TSMC have already concluded negotiations on an outsourcing agreement,” a translation of the article shared by RetiredEngineer reads. “Unlike in the past where non-core products were outsourced to TSMC, the scale of these new orders are larger than expected, and will use TSMC’s 3nm process slated to enter mass production in the second half of 2022.”

“Intel’s technology manufacturing team has already visited...

Continue reading...

Nah. Why would this be true, it they just re affirmed commitment to 7 nm?.. I kid about their 14 plus 14 pluses process but matter of fact it has kept up well enough with everybody else's process investments ( lets forget about the numbers).
This is why I think Intel should expand capacity massively in other processes , keep their 14p14p process and sell it to everyone that will buy it ( there is so much more that top end cpus) plus just open the foundry of any process inn general for contracts.
I don't know, many still say ah wait until Intel comes back, then this and that... Sometimes I read a sign of strength, like them staying in house production of silicon, followed buy a rumour of weakness ( them going for outsourcing) a sign of strength with the launch of a discrete GPU, followed by a sign of weakness in saying well, it needs this special bios, with this special hardware, and well really its an OEM exclusive... Im sorry, how hard can it be to just chop off the video of the cpus you already made by the billions and had drivers and drivers team for 100 years ( oh wait, did you fire them to save money while things were slower in that division?)
They sent a Twitter message I think with this big fat silicon piece made of smaller tiles, don't think anyone was too impressed.... Why would anyone be... Seems big fat expensive silicon ain't that big of a deal.... Afterall its just tossing more in the package, if you made tiny cheap cards, like a chip with one stack of hbm , but you could get them to scale nicely that would work too for the AI stuff.

Become a Patron!
Back