Ubisoft Announces Tom Clancy’s XDefiant, a Free-to-Play Arena Shooter Featuring Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, and The Division Factions

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
tom-clancys-xdefiant-key-art-character-group-1024x576.jpg
Image: Ubisoft

Ubisoft has unveiled Tom Clancy’s XDefiant, a new free-to-play multiplayer competitive shooter. Coming to PC (Ubisoft Connect), PlayStation 5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Stadia, and Luna with full cross-play at launch, Tom Clancy’s XDefiant features a roster of customizable characters called Defiants that are organized in factions inspired by three iconic Tom Clancy’s franchises: Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, and The Division. XDefiant players will be able to enjoy 6v6 arena battles and objective-based game modes such as Team Deathmatch and Domination across a variety of maps and personalize their characters to match their playstyles by choosing a suitable faction and selecting from a range of weapons, attachments, and more. Registrations for XDefiant’s Closed Test on August 5 are open now for Ubisoft fans who want to be the first to...

Continue reading...

LOL, didn't expect any less. Of course the trailer is already ratioed, bubisoft, you couldn't be more disconnected if you tried.

LOL, didn't expect any less. Of course the trailer is already ratioed, bubisoft, you couldn't be more disconnected if you tried.

They've been getting further and further away from what the fan bases for these franchises want year after year. People want less science fiction nonsense. Less crossovers. No one ever wanted a looter shooter with raids as their next Ghost Recon game, etc.

They've been getting further and further away from what the fan bases for these franchises want year after year. People want less science fiction nonsense. Less crossovers. No one ever wanted a looter shooter with raids as their next Ghost Recon game, etc.
I definitely didn't want Terminator or Predator in Ghost Recon, or even Splinter Cell shoehorned into it. But ubisoft is like a hydra by the time the brain realizes what the fans need the tentacles are doing crap like AC Infinity or this. There is clear pushback against the live serivce nature also, as they added previously timed events in Breakpoint as playable any time now.

I definitely didn't want Terminator or Predator in Ghost Recon, or even Splinter Cell shoehorned into it. But ubisoft is like a hydra by the time the brain realizes what the fans need the tentacles are doing crap like AC Infinity or this. There is clear pushback against the live serivce nature also, as they added previously timed events in Breakpoint as playable any time now.

I rather enjoyed the Predator mission in Wildlands. Yeah, it doesn't exactly belong in the game but it works in a weird way. In my opinion anyway. Terminators in Breakpoint do fit with the theme of the game's plot, but it feels like Ubisoft has gone too far.

I rather enjoyed the Predator mission in Wildlands. Yeah, it doesn't exactly belong in the game but it works in a weird way. In my opinion anyway. Terminators in Breakpoint do fit with the theme of the game's plot, but it feels like Ubisoft has gone too far.
Despite finishing the game 3 times on the hardest difficulty clearing all areas, I could never kill the predator, even on easy. So that was nothing but frustration for me. I must have tried a 100 times if not more.

Despite finishing the game 3 times on the hardest difficulty clearing all areas, I could never kill the predator, even on easy. So that was nothing but frustration for me. I must have tried a 100 times if not more.

It's a pain. There is a specific pair of trees that I hang out in that gives me cover from a couple of different directions. I also use a M249 SAW if I recall correctly. That gives me a lot of fire on target when he does show up. I try and time my reloads for right after he disappears. It's also easier to do co-op, though I have done it with the AI team mates. Keeping them alive is key as they'll keep you alive if you happen to get dropped by the Predator.

Mostly what I was talking about is how you investigate a mystery, fight the Predator and then the conversation afterwards is along the lines of: "We aren't telling anyone what happened here because no one would believe it." It's kind of one and done. Plus, it really captures that feel of the first movie as Arnold and company move into the jungle not knowing what they are dealing with.

Unlike the Terminator's appearance in the game being downright goofy. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed these missions to a degree, but I will agree that it just didn't belong and it's too well integrated into the game. You can find T800's in the warehouse at anytime. They don't activate unless you have the parameter set.

Become a Patron!
Back