Universal Delays Fast & Furious 9 to May 28, 2021

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
f9-poster-crew-1024x576.jpg
Image: Universal

In order to avoid MGM’s new April 2, 2021 slot for No Time to Die, Universal is delaying its next blockbuster, F9, to a future date. The ninth installment of the Fast & Furious series will now debut on May 28, 2021, marking another postponement for a hugely popular franchise (F9’s original premiere date was April 2020).

Amusingly, Universal’s original plan was to release Fast & Furious 10 by April 2021. Fans have joked about Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) and his crew making their way into space for the tenth film, but we’ll have to wait a little longer to see how ridiculous the Fast & Furious franchise can really get.

Assuming it doesn’t get postponed again, Universal’s F9 will be going up against Disney’s live-action...

Continue reading...

Every movie that has been delayed by COVID-19 should just release digitally. Not sure waiting for theaters to re-open en masse is the right plan. You gotta get with the COVID-19 times. Theaters were already in trouble before this disease came around. I think even if things were to return to "normal" people are still gonna be hella hesitant to go back to theaters.

Assuming things even go back to "normal" as we could be in for a really, really long haul.

Personally, we need to get back to normal right now. If you're high risk, stay home.

I do wish they'd release these new movies digitally though. At this rate 2021 is gonna have multiple new movies out each week.

On another note; how many Fast & Furious movies do we really need? Was 8 not enough?

Every movie that has been delayed by COVID-19 should just release digitally. Not sure waiting for theaters to re-open en masse is the right plan. You gotta get with the COVID-19 times. Theaters were already in trouble before this disease came around. I think even if things were to return to "normal" people are still gonna be hella hesitant to go back to theaters.

The problem is that this hasn't worked for everything that's tried it. I think many of these companies are scared to release direct to digital where they feel the movies won't do as well.

I think many of these companies are scared to release direct to digital where they feel the movies won't do as well.
Not that I would know anything about this business, but I feel like movies that release to theaters during COVID-19 times (or even shortly after a hopeful future where COVID-19 time has ended) won't do as well. I think releasing digitally is the higher-paying path. Now sure, if everything was normal and COVID-19 had never happened, these companies would have a point, and releasing to theaters would probably be the best bet. That's not the reality of the world today though. Plus most of us feel that the COVID-19 time period will be here for quite a while. Are the movie studios gonna keep delaying movies until that hopeful future comes along? What happens when Spring and Summer 2021 roll around, and **** is still the same? Will these movies get delayed again? At some point you just have to release that ****. All the money they spent to make those movies, and now the movies will just sit around, while the companies wait for better times? Well, good luck to them. I wouldn't bet the farm on that **** though.

Mulan was $30 on Disney plus. There was no way I was going to spend $30 on it when I usually would pay $9 for me and $4 for my daughter at the Drive-In release week AND another movie or $10 and $5 for a Matinee at a regular theater.

Digital might be the higher paying path...but they have to figure out a better price structure for it to happen.

Good gawd, I would never pay $30 for a physical blu-ray, let alone a digital version of a movie!!!

Yep, I just told her to wait until they roll it over to included with Disney+ and we will watch it then. They lost our revenue (other than the sub which also gets me Hulu and ESPN) on that release by having a dumb pricing structure.

Not that I would know anything about this business, but I feel like movies that release to theaters during COVID-19 times (or even shortly after a hopeful future where COVID-19 time has ended) won't do as well. I think releasing digitally is the higher-paying path. Now sure, if everything was normal and COVID-19 had never happened, these companies would have a point, and releasing to theaters would probably be the best bet. That's not the reality of the world today though. Plus most of us feel that the COVID-19 time period will be here for quite a while. Are the movie studios gonna keep delaying movies until that hopeful future comes along? What happens when Spring and Summer 2021 roll around, and **** is still the same? Will these movies get delayed again? At some point you just have to release that ****. All the money they spent to make those movies, and now the movies will just sit around, while the companies wait for better times? Well, good luck to them. I wouldn't bet the farm on that **** though.
The primary issue is that this and other big summer blockbusters cost well over $100 million to make and fast approaching $200 million. Include the marketing budget and it is insane. These movie studios are hoping against hop that they will be able to at least break even at this point. I think these studios saw Tenet, which was supposed to be the industry savior and hail the return of big movie releases, struggle on release and it scare the crap out of them. It made only $20 million in the US on its first weekend and has only grossed an additional $25 million in the 3 weeks since.

They have to sooner realize that the movie landscape is not going to go back to normal anytime soon and they'll need to abandon the idea of the summer blockbuster for at least a couple years.

Movies need to make happy content. Something with a constant positive or fun spin. The WORLD is ready for something positive (no not the web comic you sick SOB.) and less of the dark shows/movies.

We need some Studio Gimbly (sp) content. We need some fun high energy musicals that don't cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make. That's the kind of content we need again to get us out of our heads!

Where's that new Ryan Rynolds movie where he's an NPC? I was looking forward to that one and know it would be a FUN take on a movie to see.

That's just my opinion of course. I could be wrong.

Movies need to make happy content. Something with a constant positive or fun spin. The WORLD is ready for something positive (no not the web comic you sick SOB.) and less of the dark shows/movies.

We need some Studio Gimbly (sp) content. We need some fun high energy musicals that don't cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make. That's the kind of content we need again to get us out of our heads!

Where's that new Ryan Rynolds movie where he's an NPC? I was looking forward to that one and know it would be a FUN take on a movie to see.

That's just my opinion of course. I could be wrong.
Fewer adult comedies are being made because there is very little you can poke fun at without offending somebody. Plenty of movies with happy stories and endings are being made, but they're not the money makers so you don't hear about them much.

I have two primary issues with Hollywood right now: Hardly any original content is being made anymore and narratives are no longer pushing boundaries. There are so many classics that I go back and watch, and can't help but think "you could never make a movie like this these days." It can get quite depressing.

Become a Patron!
Back