Valve’s “SteamPal” Is a Switch-Like Portable Gaming PC That Reportedly Supports the Entire Steam Library

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
steam-logo-destiny-1024x576.jpg
Image: Steam

Rumors of Valve developing some sort of mysterious mobile device code named “SteamPal” began swirling this morning. According to a newer, exclusive report from Ars Technica, SteamPal is most definitely a portable, all-in-one handheld PC device with built-in controls that will look and function similarly to Nintendo’s popular family of Switch consoles—touchscreen and all. Ars Technica speculates that the SteamPal will likely leverage an SoC (system on a chip) from either Intel or AMD instead of NVIDIA based on similar devices that have been designed in the past (i.e., Alienware’s Switch-like gaming PC), while rumors from other parties suggest that Valve’s SteamPal will cost around $399 and allow users to access their entire Steam games library...

Continue reading...

Hmm. I could see it working just like the Switch - that isn’t crazy heavy on the hardware side. They don’t push really high resolutions.

I don’t really see myself wanting one though. But I could see it working.

I think it's a cool idea - but I also thought Steam Machines were a cool idea too and that didn't really turn out. I guess what this SteamPal has in its favour is that it's Steam themselves designing the hardware so quality won't be all over the place.

Still, it'd be nice to have a seamless way to play my steam library on the go then sync up with my gaming PC when I'm home. Some Switch games visited this idea with cross save compatibility between the console and PC, but it's been sorta clunky so far.

Become a Patron!
Back