Valve Says Dual-Boot Support Is Still Coming to Steam Deck as It Readies SteamOS for Use on ASUS ROG Ally Devices

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Steam Deck, the powerful, portable PC handheld that enables players to access their entire Steam library from anywhere, driven by hardware that includes an APU by AMD, will eventually, as previously promised, include support for dual boot, allowing users to turn their devices into dual-booting Windows machines, according to new statements shared by Valve UX designer Lawrence Yang.

See full article...

It really looks to me like Linux is getting closer and closer to being viable for my gaming needs.

This excites me.

I can't wait to the day I can just get rid of windows once and for all.

I really kind of wish Valve would bring back SteamOS for general purpose Desktop hardware.

(you can still download the old one, but it is ancient and unsupported at this point. If memory serves it was based on Debian 8 (Jessie) which was released in 2015 and went EOL in mid 2020.

I really kind of wish Valve would bring back SteamOS for general purpose Desktop hardware.
Would be nice to have a single package ready to install, I admit. Although on the flip side of that, I'm kinda glad they dropped it, because Steam is already too bloated as it is, it certainly doesn't need to add the OS level to it's stack of features.

I think Steam / Proton runs on just about any major distro you care to run, depending on how much effort you want to put into it - ranging from "nearly ready out of the box" to "I'm doing this because it's my favorite distro / I want to learn this distro / I just really like penguins"

Would be nice to have a single package ready to install, I admit. Although on the flip side of that, I'm kinda glad they dropped it, because Steam is already too bloated as it is, it certainly doesn't need to add the OS level to it's stack of features.

I think Steam / Proton runs on just about any major distro you care to run, depending on how much effort you want to put into it - ranging from "nearly ready out of the box" to "I'm doing this because it's my favorite distro / I want to learn this distro / I just really like penguins"

Hmm.

I guess I have some reading to do.

Last time I looked into it people were saying things like "you need mandrake/arch with bleeding edge low latency kernels and bleeding edge versions of mesa or you'll have a bad time".

This might admittedly have been a while ago, but I was still under the impression that we were a long way off from "just install Steam/proton and go", and that there are a lot of distro-side tweaks that are necessary, and gee, wouldn't it be nice if there was one that was just ready to go.

This might admittedly have been a while ago, but I was still under the impression that we were a long way off from "just install Steam/proton and go", and that there are a lot of distro-side tweaks that are necessary, and gee, wouldn't it be nice if there was one that was just ready to go.
Pop! Is pretty much there, and Mint isn’t far behind it

Become a Patron!
Back