Valve Says It Did Everything It Could to Avoid Thumbstick Drift on Steam Deck

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
valve-steam-deck-playing-hades-1024x576.jpg
Image: Valve

Stick drift is an annoying issue whereby analog sticks will begin registering inputs even when they aren’t being touched due to the accumulation of dust or other small particles on their internal sensors. This issue has reportedly been pervasive in certain peripherals such as Nintendo’s Joy-Con controllers, but according to Valve, its new portable PC, the Steam Deck, won’t suffer from the problem. Speaking with IGN, Valve’s hardware engineers confirmed that they were conscious of stick drift while designing the device and confirmed that it has gone through reliability testing to minimize the problem. While Valve wouldn’t go so far as to offer a guarantee, the company did suggest that it did everything it could to ensure that stick drift wouldn’t be a problem with the Steam Deck’s “best-in-class” thumbsticks, which feature built-in capacitive sensors...

Continue reading...

I sure hope they put the work into it, cuz I've had to deal with Switch joy-con drift, and a friend is dealing with DualSense drift. That sh1t is d*mn annoying.

I would think it's as easy as not using the same parts as the defective joys.

Given that it seems to be a reasonably new problem or at least on a bigger scale it might have to do with putting a lot of stuff in as little as space as possible so if they go for the older parts and provide enough space to put it in it should be better but I'm not engineer so who knows.

Become a Patron!
Back