What Happened to AMD’s B550 Being a “Budget” Chipset? GIGABYTE’s AORUS MASTER Motherboard to Cost $279

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
gigabyte-aorus-b550-aorus-master-motherboard-box-1024x576.jpg
Image: GIGABYTE

AMD’s B550 chipset is supposed to be the mainstream, budget-friendly option for Ryzen 3000 adopters, but apparently, manufacturers only got part of that memo.

According to a spreadsheet posted by a GIGABYTE community manager, some of these motherboards will cost as high as $279 (e.g., the B550 AORUS MASTER), which is a notable increase from previous-gen lineups. To be fair, GIGABYTE is also prepping B550 SKUs priced as low as $94 (e.g., the B44M DS3H), but it’s a little weird seeing $250+ motherboards as part of a “budget” series.

MSI added to the pricing situation in a recent...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is the new budget price range.

Motherboards have gone up in price to crazy levels lately. The premium ones are like $500 - $600 now.

There are also some models that exceed $750 even in the mainstream segment. $279.99 is basically on the low side of the range now. I think we will continue to see some models around $150 or so, but over time these prices will go up or we'll see a decline in quality. The days of $100 budget boards that are worth having are probably over.

The problem is that the X570 PCH wasn't cheap. B550 probably isn't cheap either. It's certainly cheaper than X570, but by how much is anyone's guess.

I've started to notice a trend in this direction as I shopped quite a bit for AMD and Intel boards lately. Also being that most are scarce right now isn't helping.

Become a Patron!
Back