Windows 10 May 2019 Update Boosts Ryzen Performance By as Much as 15%

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The good news continues to roll in for AMD. Ryzen users who haven’t installed the Windows 10 May 2019 Update yet may want to do that, as it reportedly improves CPU performance quite a bit.

Windows 10 and Ryzen didn’t mesh well initially. Some enthusiasts, such as PC World’s Gordon Ung, have blamed the operating system’s scheduler for failing to utilize its CPU cores correctly.

But that seems to be old news now.

As of the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, AMD said optimizations to the operating system will dispatch work to adjacent cores on the same die first, which will greatly reduce latency.

Clock ramping has also been improved significantly, granting substantial performance boosts in certain games.

With previous builds of Windows, AMD said it could take around 30 milliseconds for the CPU to ramp up to higher frequencies. As of the update (and with a new chipset driver) it’ll take just 1 to 2 milliseconds for the chip to reach its top speed. These fixes give some games a boost of 15 percent, while the faster clock ramping can yield 6-percent improvements.

Anyone know if Linux users are being shown this love by AMD?

I actually find it hard to believe this isn't bigger news. I don't own an AMD right now, but wow, getting this much performance from a software update seems like it would be a big deal. I mean, if I'm understanding the benefit correctly, this is on par with the level of improvement between hardware generations for a while now....

No doubt. I'll be doing some pre-post testing on my 2600X when I get home from business

No doubt. I'll be doing some pre-post testing on my 2600X when I get home from business
I'm looking forward to seeing what my AMD boxes will gain from this. Have high hopes for the TR box. The 2600 is pretty snappy as is, but will take the gains.

Looks like Windows is giving Intel the middle finger with this one.
Intel: You guys are gonna continue to hamper AMD, right?
Windows: You guys are gonna fix the hit to performance in our data centers, right?
Intel: We're working on it as fast as we can, tyvm.
Windows: We'll help motivate you. You're welcome.

This seems more like msft fixing a big in their os rather than trying to be on amd's side..

I'm not sure I'll fully notice the difference at the moment but once I start to put all the cores into use it will be nice.

There was a quick benchmark done by Hardware Unboxed showing close to 0 performance gains in gaming.

Not sure which real-life use cases see gains with Ryzen aside from synthetics.

There are some reddit and youtube posts saying otherwise though with games like PUBG

Last edited:
I wonder if this would benefit the lower core count Ryzen more than the higher core counts.

Let's use the 2600X for example..two die each with three cores. Quad core use in games would be more common. So it either does a 2+2 or 3+1. Compared to the 2700 with four cores on a single die.

Well, this actually grenade'ed my Windows installation. I had to re-install. So yeah.....................I'd be careful on this one. BTW, if you have an AMD Threadripper system, it forces you to use newer chipset / RAID array drivers as the older ones aren't compatible with the 1903 update.

Well, this actually grenade'ed my Windows installation. I had to re-install. So yeah.....................I'd be careful on this one. BTW, if you have an AMD Threadripper system, it forces you to use newer chipset / RAID array drivers as the older ones aren't compatible with the 1903 update.

Boot loop?

Boot loop?

Nope. The system hard locked during startup. It never reached the desktop. Even starting in safe mode didn't help. I ended up doing the "reset" which reinstalled the OS without losing my data. So I'm in the process of reinstalling my applications.

Become a Patron!
Back