Windows 10 May 2020 Update Introduces Internet Connectivity and Drive Optimizer Bugs

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
windows-10-hero-wallpaper-red-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Are we ever going to get a release of Windows 10 that’s free of embarrassing bugs? Probably not. Some users who downloaded Microsoft’s Windows 10 May 2020 update – otherwise known as version 2004 – are now experiencing issues related to internet connectivity and the operating system’s built-in defragmentation utility, Drive Optimizer.

For the internet issue, users say (via Windows Latest) that they’re getting a “no internet access” error in the system tray despite having a properly enabled and active connection. Normally, this could be shrugged off and ignored as a cosmetic error, but the problem is that some apps actually depend on Windows 10’s internet status to function properly – Cortana, Microsoft Store, and Spotify reportedly won’t connect with this...

Continue reading...

Wait people actually have the may update? For whatever ****ing reason I still can't get it. Though I did have an issue the other day with none of my apps able to get anywhere on the internet. I was using DNS 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 and they were unresponsive. Switched to auto assigned from Spectrum and everything started working. I wonder if spectrum was blocking or is blocking that.

Interesting that Microsoft acknowledged these issues, but they're not in the issue tracker. I usually watch this before updating to the newest feature update, but I guess you still can't trust Microsoft to document everything.

I just built a new 3600x with an X570 AORUS Pro machine with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro a couple months back and I still haven't gotten it. I tried to force it but after it was installed my machine blue-screened and Windows rolled the update back... I'm now questioning my choice to go AMD.

My Threadripper box never saw the update so I went this route and manually did it.

No issues to be found with the update yet, but then I am not on it a lot lately either.

I believe I tried that to no avail. It went through the install then backed it out. *looks at his xbox 360 wireless knockoff receiver* I wonder if that's my issue.
It took a bit on TR box. Slow to DL, even longer to install. In fact it sat at a small percentage of install for long enough I almost restarted the process. My 2700x box didn't have any issues at all, but then it also showed up correctly under updates.

I just chalk it up to a MS thing, and I'm not convinced that being at 2004 has offered my systems any real world advantage over the previous build.

I'm just anal about getting all of my updates and it's pissing me off to be honest. I don't have any other boneheaded hardware connected to my system at all. It's all major vendor high tier hardware and yet MS can't see to apply the updates in a supported fashion. I need to know why.

I'm just anal about getting all of my updates and it's pissing me off to be honest. I don't have any other boneheaded hardware connected to my system at all. It's all major vendor high tier hardware and yet MS can't see to apply the updates in a supported fashion. I need to know why.
Feel the same, which is why I forced it onto the TR box. Hope it eventually pans out for your systems

Ok I finally figured out why my computer would not take the new windows version, AND got it upgraded.

It appears the error I was getting was related to an I/O issue. After reviewing everything I/O... I realized my Samsung NVME 960 EVO was actually using a Microsoft Driver. So I went and downloaded the latest driver from Samsung.

Lo and behold once I did that I could manually install the update. YAY! (Windows updater still didn't offer it to me immediately after... there may be a 'burn in after changes' time required.

I finally got an NVME drive a little while back and in preparation for a clean install I downloaded the latest Win10 image from MS which happened to be 2004. I didn't even bother looking at what it was at the time.

I can't say I noticed anything beneficial over the previous version. However, audio bugs have cropped up which are annoying. One in particular happens when the monitors are brought out of sleep. If music is playing at the time the music will freeze and replay the same instant repeatedly for a second before everything catches back up. It's extremely annoying and freaks me out a bit every time it happens because it's the exact type of thing which happens when the OS locks up or crashes while any sound is being played.

Become a Patron!
Back