Windows 11 to Introduce Auto HDR and DirectStorage for Gaming

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-velocity-architecture-green-speedlines-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Microsoft announced Windows 11 today, an updated version of its popular operating system with a redesigned user interface and various new features such as Widgets, an all-new Microsoft Store, and the ability to use Android apps on PC. According to a new blog post on Xbox Wire, Windows 11 will also happen to be the best version of Windows ever made for gaming, partially because it introduces or broadens two new exciting technologies: Auto HDR and DirectStorage. The former automatically adds High Dynamic Range (HDR) enhancements to DirectX 11 games or higher, while the latter leverages the full potential of high-performance NVMe SSDs for faster loading times. Windows 11 will be available as a free upgrade for eligible Windows 10 PCs and new PCs this holiday...

Continue reading...

DirectStorage sounds like a caching system, I need to read more about it. Pros and cons.

Sounds like snakeoil. I've never seen a PC where IO was a significant bottleneck for the CPU during gaming. Most games are GPU Limited anyway, so I don't see this is as particularly useful or revolutionary. More like a solution in search of a problem.

Sounds like snakeoil. I've never seen a PC where IO was a significant bottleneck for the CPU during gaming. Most games are GPU Limited anyway, so I don't see this is as particularly useful or revolutionary. More like a solution in search of a problem.
I tend to agree. Seems like MS figured out their SSD wasn't quite as fast as Sony's, so they needed something to differentiate it. I mean, if you just said PCI 4 NVMe... that obviously isn't good enough, right?

So they gave it a proprietary connector and threw the DirectStorage name on it. It ~might~ have some sort of hardware-based compression - although many SSDs do already, and maybe something else accelerated on it (they did customize the AMD hardware a bit)... although it couldn't have been too much if they are going to pull the same thing over to the PC.

I am looking forward to Auto-HDR though -- long overdue feature in my opinion - HDR is nice when it works.

Become a Patron!
Back