X570 Motherboards Too Expensive? AMD’s Cheaper B550 Chipset Will Reportedly Launch on June 16th

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
asus-rog-strix-b450-f-close-up-1024x576.jpg
Image: ASUS

Better late than never. According to VideoCardz (via Wccftech), AMD’s budget-oriented B550 motherboards will finally be released this summer, on June 16. That would be nearly a year after AMD launched the X570 chipset – its more expensive, higher-ended counterpart.

B550 boards will, of course, cost significantly less. “The AMD B550 chipset motherboards would fall somewhere between $80 to $150 US considering that the cheapest X570 options are available for around $150 US,” Wccftech speculated. “The AMD X470 motherboards still carry good support for Ryzen 3000 CPUs and start for around $120-$130 US if you can still find them in the retail channel. B450 chipset based motherboards...

Continue reading...

Isn't B550 made by a third party like ASMedia? I recall reading something to that effect. It would explain the long delays.

Reactions: _k_
When Gen 4 really takes off, this might be useful. Until then a B450 or X470 seems like it would do just as well, so it better not cost much more than those.

I vaguely remember reading that ASMedia had a hand in all of AMD's Zen-era chipsets, but I could be wrong. It's been a while. I could be remembering incorrectly.

I vaguely remember reading that ASMedia had a hand in all of AMD's Zen-era chipsets, but I could be wrong. It's been a while. I could be remembering incorrectly.

X570 is in house from AMD. Per AMD, the design of the X570 chipset is derived from the I/O die of the Ryzen 3000 series CPU's. I think costs, power consumption and AMD's overall approach is about the least efficient and expensive path it could have chosen. It makes sense that it would tap a company like ASMedia to design a cheaper, yet compatible chipset as an alternative.

Become a Patron!
Back