Xbox Dominates Controller Use on Steam, Valve Reveals

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Video game controllers developed by Microsoft, including what is probably the modern Xbox Wireless Controller and Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, a premium controller that delivers adjustable-tension thumbsticks, interchangeable components, and other pro-level features, are the most popular controllers among Steam users by far, according to new statistics that Valve has published as part of an update relating to Steam Input and controller support.

See full article...

I've never quite understood the desire to use a controller on the PC platform.

For me one of the biggest advantages of the PC platform is to get away from the controller.

If consoles only had proper keyboard and mouse support, they could even be considered quite nice low end and affordable machines.

imho some games play better with a controller, like some people also like to play certain games with joysticks are steering wheels and pedals.

I prefer cotrollers for my fighting games, platformers or sports games.

The advantage of the PC platform is the ability to choose the input method. KB+M is superior for RPGs, strategy games and shooters, but the controller is better for action and racing games, and when you just want to sit back and relax. I personally almost never use KB+M since I barely play the aforementioned three genres.

For me one of the biggest advantages of the PC platform is to get away from the controller.
As @Denpepe said above, I also think it's about choice - and the main motivator for the PC is performance, whether that be framerate or resolution or detail, or all of the above.

If consoles only had proper keyboard and mouse support, they could even be considered quite nice low end and affordable machines.
I think that there's really not a market for such a thing, not enough to make it addressable at least, i.e. bringing capability up to the level of say a Chromebook. It's also something that would detract / distract from consoles' primary purpose, which is to sell games.

For many / most, TVs are likely just not comfortable for things we'd use a 'desktop' for, IMO.

The advantage of the PC platform is the ability to choose the input method. KB+M is superior for RPGs, strategy games and shooters, but the controller is better for action and racing games, and when you just want to sit back and relax. I personally almost never use KB+M since I barely play the aforementioned three genres.

Precisely this, for me. 90% of my time is spent with a mouse and keyboard, but for some games, a gamepad is better suited. In titles like Cocoon, Hades, Death's Door or Tunic, the twin stick layout and analog movement control simply feels better. Dave the Diver and Dredge were fun with a controller. Anything retro or having platformer gameplay, I reach for the gamepad.

A few games I found myself switching between input methods, which was a bit weird but ultimately worked well. In Days Gone, for example, I'd grab the controller when I was riding the motorcycle, but switch to KB+M when I got to my destination and started walking around or engaging in combat. In Witcher 3 and RDR2, I did the same thing with horse riding - or if I was just wanting to decompress for a bit and take in the scenery. The lower camera movement was just a bit more relaxing when I was cantering around Toussaint or riding around looking for rare wildlife targets in RDR2.

For racing games, it genuinely depends on how lazy I'm feeling. I have a full wheel and pedal setup, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't also played and finished quite a few races with a controller in games like GRID Legends, or the Dirt or Forza series titles. Pacific Drive, which isn't a racing title, but does involve a car, didn't work for me in either controller-only or hybrid switch style, for whatever reason. I changed back fully to full KB+M after a few hours.

FPS or action heavy 3rd person games? All KB+M, all the time. Strategy/RTS games? All KB+M.

It's nice being able to just use whatever I feel like, even if I don't end up sticking with it. What bugs me more is the occasional game that doesn't allow that sort of flexible input switching, requiring a restart or whatnot. Rrrr. <shakes fist>

I always play games using the best input method available for that game. When I'm playing FPS games or strategy games, mouse and keyboard is what I use. For a lot of the other types of games I play (racing games, fighting games, platformers, and many others), a controller is the best input method. And Microsoft standardizing controller use for PCs starting with the X360 controller has been a godsend. Trying to use controllers on PC in the ages before Xinput was a f*cking nightmare.

And I like to do as much of my gaming on PC as possible. I'd rather not use a console if I can avoid it. That said, I've been using consoles since 2nd-gen. But my hope is that 9th-gen (the current gen) will be the first time I don't grab any of the consoles (I've always grabbed them late anyways, for cheap, when there was enough sh1t I wanted to play on 'em, and if they could be easily modded that was another huge factor, and several times I've gotten some as gifts). What I love about PC is freedom of choice, and less restrictions. I have a sh1t-ton of different controllers, and types of controllers, that I use depending on the game I want to play.

Mouse and keyboard usage among consoles is in a much better place than it used to be, but it's still not where I'd like it to be. Microsoft has been leading the way there too, and there's a decent amount of games that support it. Back in the day it was on a game-by-game basis. Quake 3 on Dreamcast, or UT1 on PS2 for example. I recall some games on PS1 as well. UT3 on PS3 also supported mouse and keyboard. But Microsoft has pushed for its usage more than the other companies in recent gens, and were first to have system-wide support for it.

For racing games, it genuinely depends on how lazy I'm feeling. I have a full wheel and pedal setup, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't also played and finished quite a few races with a controller
Yupz, that's me all the time.

A few games I found myself switching between input methods, which was a bit weird but ultimately worked well. In Days Gone, for example, I'd grab the controller when I was riding the motorcycle, but switch to KB+M when I got to my destination and started walking around or engaging in combat.
Haha yeah, I've done that here and there with games since the 2000s. Another handy thing that PC allows you to do. I think the first game I ever tried doing that with was GTA: Vice City or GTA: San Andreas.

Become a Patron!
Back