Xbox Series S “Lockhart” to Feature 4 Teraflops of GPU Performance

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-one-x-xbox-one-s-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Microsoft’s cheaper, less-powerful next-gen Xbox seems all but certain. Information security engineer TitleOS has shared internal release notes that mention a special profiling mode for “Lockhart,” which seems to confirm that a Series S console is definitely in the cards.

While the document doesn’t provide any insight into its potential specs, sources with The Verge claim that the next-gen variant will flaunt 4 teraflops of GPU performance – 8 TFLOPS less than the Xbox Series X – as well as a slightly slower CPU and 7.5 GB of usable memory for a 1080p or 1440p gaming experience. The profiling mode, as indicated below, would allow developers to better design for two disparate hardware configurations.

Source...

Continue reading...

So what? Graphics look like crap with it? Don't understand this strategy..

I dunno, I think it's a smart strategy. They're basically making a console that has the same graphical capabilities as the Series X but targets 1080p60/1440p30. I think that's a huge market still and they should be able to deliver a console at a very competitive price there.

Update on article: There's an update from the original source of this article saying that the CPU would remain the same (and not underclocked as originally mentioned).

Become a Patron!
Back