Xbox Series X and Series S Compared: Latter Has 61 Percent Weaker GPU

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-series-x-console-controller-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

TweakTown has shared a chart that shows the key differences between Microsoft’s flagship next-gen console, the Xbox Series X, and its weaker (but still capable) sibling, the Xbox Series S. As you can see, the consoles are remarkably similar – both of them even sport a PCIe 4.0 SSD and the same 8C/16T, 3.8 GHz Ryzen processor – but there’s a major difference in their GPU solutions.

According to Tom Warren’s contribution, the Series S features an AMD Navi RDNA 2-based GPU with only 20 Compute Units and a 1.55 GHz clock speed. That’s significantly lower than the Series X’s GPU, which flaunts 52 Compute Units and a 1.825 GHz clock speed.

This inconsistency shouldn’t...

Continue reading...

I'm not too concerned about the lower GPU. As long as it can give similar performance at lower resolutions to the series x.

I'm reading the target 1440p @ 60fps, and think that's probably overreaching. Their target goal should be 1080p @ 60fps. 1440p seems an odd resolution to make the target; Since, afaik, HDTVs don't typically release at that resolution and 1080p should scale easier on a 4k HDTV.

One thing I would love to see, is the Series X not only support 4k, but other resolutions, ie: ultrawide 3440. I think that would be a huge bonus for the console.

so the series S is on paper 2 tflops lower then the current xbox one x but with a better CPU, not sure what the market for this thing is unless it will be pretty cheap.

so the series S is on paper 2 tflops lower then the current xbox one x but with a better CPU, not sure what the market for this thing is unless it will be pretty cheap.

I'm sure that's what they're going to aim for. Get a Xbox priced near Switch pricing would be a smart movie imo.

I think it'll work.

I mean, PCs can be very powerful, but most people buy the mid to low tier setups.

I think it'll work.

I mean, PCs can be very powerful, but most people buy the mid to low tier setups.

Yar, and I don't think a regular consumer would notice the difference between 4k @ 60 fps or 1080p @ 60 fps.

The one move I don't understand is MS keeping the Xbox One S manufactured. I say, keep supporting the One with software (their current plan anyway) but stop manufacturing the One S (sell off existing stock). Make the Series S the new mainstream standard going forward.

If I can get all the same graphic fidelity as the series X but at 1080p/60 instead of 4k that's the system I'd buy for the kids or the bedroom or whatever... assuming they don't shoot themselves in the dick with their pricing.

If that is actually the case MS may have just sold me an Xbox. My plan was PC/Games Pass for most titles and PS5 for exclusives but both live in the living room. If I can buy a series S and use cloud saves with the Games Pass games in the bedroom when I'm feeling exceptionally lazy and the walk to the living room is just too much, MS just made another sale.

So they are releasing a weaker console than the previous gen? Must that they plan to do streaming with it mostly. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to me.

So they are releasing a weaker console than the previous gen? Must that they plan to do streaming with it mostly. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to me.

Could be. The one console they discontinued was the Xbox One S Digital Edition - so maybe the Series S will be a replacement for that. Spec-wise, I don't know if anything's been confirmed for the Series S, hoping it's more powerful than the One X (and you'd think it would be with the CPU/GPU upgrade) but who knows.

I hope it's Series X performance but at 1080p. Let them make a 'Series D' that will be for a streaming only console.

Microsoft: "We want you to buy more than one of our consoles! We discovered with the xbox 360, once people were plugged into the ecosystem and had multiple controllers and xbox only other devices we could generate a Red Ring of Death and people would just buy a new one as long as it was acceptably outside of the limited warranty period. It was a CASH COW for the Xbox business. So this generation we are releasing a console that can drive the lowest common denominator of displays in our market. Then once the market gets better and people start upgrading they will need another Xbox. WIN WIN!"

The way I understood it is they're releasing two new consoles this next generation. One with powerful hardware, one without. Software and everything will be compatible between both.

Become a Patron!
Back