Xbox Series X Backward-Compatibility Tests Show Dramatic Leaps In Performance

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-series-x-top-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Digital Foundry has shared a look at how older games run on the Xbox Series X, and the performance gains are pretty darn impressive. While the Xbox One X struggles to maintain 30-40 FPS in demanding titles, Microsoft’s new flagship console appears to consistently hit 60 FPS in games such as Dead or Alive 6, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy XIV, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

Benefits of the shift from Jaguar to Ryzen CPUs are clearly illustrated in older titles with performance modes that dial down the resolution for increased frame rates, which is generally harder on the processor.

“…Series X blitzed every single CPU-limited gaming scenario I could come up with,” Leadbetter wrote. “Rise of the Tomb Raider’s 60fps performance mode is fairly...

Continue reading...

Yar, I've been really feeling the XSX lately. I'm liking the whisper quiet operation and the resume play (which was my favorite feature of the PS4/Xbox/Switch compared to PC).

I'm hoping to hear more about cross save/play/buy between PC and Xbox. I really like the idea of being able to play a game on PC (my main platform) but then continue where I was via an Xbox. Could see myself on work travel and hauling the XSX with me for an evening game session, or relying on the Xbox while I wait for Nvidia (or AMD) stock to come in on their latest and greatest GPU because I sold mine on ebay in anticipation of the GPU launch.

Oh, and Game Pass seems really great (and should be even better).

Become a Patron!
Back