Xbox Series X Specs Unveiled: 8-Core 3.8 GHz Zen 2 CPU, 12 TFLOPS RDNA2 GPU, 16 GB GDDR6

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-series-x-soc-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Microsoft shared quite a bit of technical information on the Xbox Series X today, unveiling its full systems specifications alongside plenty of beautiful hardware shots to gawk over. Here are the complete specs of the fancy console:

CPU: 8x Cores @ 3.8 GHz (3.6 GHz w/ SMT) Custom Zen 2 CPUGPU: 12 TFLOPS, 52 CUs @ 1.825 GHz Custom RDNA 2 GPUDie Size: 360.45 mm2Process: 7nm EnhancedMemory: 16 GB GDDR6 w/ 320b busMemory Bandwidth: 10GB @ 560 GB/s, 6GB @ 336 GB/sInternal Storage: 1 TB Custom NVME SSDI/O Throughput: 2.4 GB/s (Raw), 4.8 GB/s (Compressed, with custom hardware decompression block)Expandable Storage: 1 TB Expansion Card (matches internal storage exactly)External Storage: USB 3.2 External HDD SupportOptical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-Ray DrivePerformance Target: 4K @ 60 FPS, Up to 120 FPS...

Continue reading...

Hmm..

So a 5700XT is 40 CUs, 9.75 TFlops at 1755 Mhz single precision, on 7nm. It's also got a 225W TDP, which is alone at the upper end of what an entire console TDP traditionally is.

So, 12 more cores, and +70Mhz - that would roughly match up to a 12 TFlop part based on just the RDNA architecture we've seen to date. The power is the thing that really has me scratching my head. I am sure RDNA2 has some improvements over 1.0 with respect to TDP, but you are looking at a 8 Zen2 core CPU (around 45W on it's own), plus the GPU, plus the auxillary components, and all of that needs to fit within about a 250W envelope - total, for everything.

Or you make big box with lots of fans that takes up a lot of room or sounds like a jet plane... either solution consumers have traditionally hated for consoles.

It's a big leap in efficiency to get there, and no process node change to help it along. Either AMD/Microsoft is playing fast and loose with the specs (like, it's really 12TFlops half precision; although you aren't driving 8K or 120FPS anything with that really), the console is going to be nearly as big as a traditional desktop, or it's true, and RDNA2 really could be chasing nVidia - maybe not beating it, but definitely closing the gap.

Become a Patron!
Back