Xbox Series X to Support 1 TB of Additional Storage with PCI Express 4.0 Expansion Cards

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-series-x-storage-expansion-slot-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Running out of storage space isn’t much of an issue these days in the console world thanks to replaceable HDD/SSDs and external drive support, but this will be even less of a concern with Microsoft’s next-gen system. In addition to a 1 TB internal SSD and two USB 3.2 ports for external HDDs, the Xbox Series X will also flaunt a convenient, space-saving storage expansion slot.

This slot runs on PCI Express 4.0 and accepts proprietary 1 TB memory cards produced by Seagate, which link up directly to the processor. “Microsoft has partnered with Seagate for its proprietary external 1TB SSD expansion,” wrote Eurogamer in its Xbox Series X deep-dive. “It’s very short, quite weighty for its dimensions and actually presents rather like a memory card.”...

Continue reading...

I was going to cry foul, but saw that it will still continue to support external HDDs through the USB ports.

About to dive into the DF article, I really like the look of it and specs are solid. If the KB+M support became standard (at least for FPS and strategy games), I'd consider replacing my gaming PC for a XSX.

Yeah they are restricting new games (XB1SXwtfomgbbq "Velocity" something or another) to only run off this newer standard. All the backwards compatible stuff can still run from USB, and you can still backup to USB.

I'd consider replacing my gaming PC for a XSX.

Yeah, if they would just allow us to run retail Windows, I completely would. It's not like it would take all that much, I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more streamlined bootloaders for Windows/Linux for current gen consoles -- I think I've seen Hackinstosh style for either that required a lot of hoops to be jumped through.

Become a Patron!
Back