ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity Review

Dan_D

Administrator
Staff member
Introduction

Today, we are evaluating the ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity video card ZT-A30900D-10P. It is one of five GeForce RTX 3090 series offerings from ZOTAC. This one is at the very bottom of the list and is essentially, a reference RTX 3090 board with a custom cooler on it. Up from that are overclocked models and others with fancier-looking coolers, RGB, and even a factory water-cooled version.

We won’t be rehashing the coverage of the GeForce RTX 30 series NVIDIA Ampere architecture in this review. Instead, you can read up on our coverage of the GeForce RTX 30 series architecture...

Continue reading...

Nice read, but when looking at the results I am wondering if the Resizable BAR and other chip enhancements between the 3900x that was used for Nvidia texting and the 5800x used for the AMD card testing are creating an Apples vs Pears comparison. Close... but not quite the same. That and you're running 32 gig of dual channel on the AMD system and 16 gig of dual channel on the Nvidia system. With how these can cache texture data in ram space lately that also seems.... off?

To my perception the differences here while smallish are just too large to call it a real world comparison. I think your results would be different if that 3080ti was in the 5800x system and the 3090 was in the 3900x. Actually that would be interesting to see.

Nice read, but when looking at the results I am wondering if the Resizable BAR and other chip enhancements between the 3900x that was used for Nvidia texting and the 5800x used for the AMD card testing are creating an Apples vs Pears comparison. Close... but not quite the same. That and you're running 32 gig of dual channel on the AMD system and 16 gig of dual channel on the Nvidia system. With how these can cache texture data in ram space lately that also seems.... off?

To my perception the differences here while smallish are just too large to call it a real world comparison. I think your results would be different if that 3080ti was in the 5800x system and the 3090 was in the 3900x. Actually that would be interesting to see.
It's an unfortunate logistics issue. It's a long story but this is the only GPU review I've ever done and didn't have all the stuff on hand to provide comparison data. So some of the results were provided by Brent to fill out the graphs. We do not have duplicate hardware. That being said, at 4K at least the CPU should make too much difference, but there will be some.

It was kind of an experiment on my part and it took a very long time to do since I'd never done a GPU review in my life. I'm not sure I'll ever do another one. They are more work than motherboard reviews.

It's an unfortunate logistics issue. It's a long story but this is the only GPU review I've ever done and didn't have all the stuff on hand to provide comparison data. So some of the results were provided by Brent to fill out the graphs. We do not have duplicate hardware. That being said, at 4K at least the CPU should make too much difference, but there will be some.

It was kind of an experiment on my part and it took a very long time to do since I'd never done a GPU review in my life. I'm not sure I'll ever do another one. They are more work than motherboard reviews.
Understood. Yea it seems like a lot of iterative testing and kind of time consuming to say the least. Still a good review over all I just think the technological hurdle here between the generations of CPU is too much. a 5800x compared to a 5900x would have been more on par perhaps?

Understood. Yea it seems like a lot of iterative testing and kind of time consuming to say the least. Still a good review over all I just think the technological hurdle here between the generations of CPU is too much. a 5800x compared to a 5900x would have been more on par perhaps?
They'd have been closer from a gaming standpoint. I hadn't received my Alder Lake-S CPU yet, my 11900K was sent out to become the test system of another reviewer and the 5900X went somewhere. I was left with only the 3900X on hand.

Become a Patron!
Back