Mass Effect Lead Writer Joins Ex-BioWare Vets at Archetype Entertainment for New Sci-Fi RPG

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
mass-effect-banner-1024x576.jpg
Image: BioWare

Archetype Entertainment was born in 2019 after two of BioWare’s heavy hitters, James Ohlen and Chad Robertson, became disappointed at what the studio had become under EA’s management. Despite its recent formation, Archetype has already gained a following thanks to the former’s exploits, which include design work for classics such as Baldur’s Gate, Dragon Age: Origins, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

We learned last month that Archetype’s first game would be an RPG set in “a new sci-fi universe.” That alone got plenty of Mass Effect fans riled up, but its potential has grown even greater with the news that lead writer Drew Karpyshyn has joined the studio. He made the announcement on his blog earlier this week, stating that he hasn’t been “this excited to work on a project in a long, long time.”

His...

Continue reading...

Nice, I remember seeing headlines on sites re: Archetype Entertainment, but didn't realize the pedigree behind it. Would be nice to see a return to Bioware's glory.

I'll reserve my excitement. A lot of times, these ex-Whatever game company devs fail to recapture the magic of their original creations. I don't know if former BioWare developers could recapture the magic of something like Mass Effect. That's a tall order. Some of the original devs from that series gave us Anthem. We can all see how that turned out.

I'll reserve my excitement. A lot of times, these ex-Whatever game company devs fail to recapture the magic of their original creations. I don't know if former BioWare developers could recapture the magic of something like Mass Effect. That's a tall order. Some of the original devs from that series gave us Anthem. We can all see how that turned out.
Yup, thats been my opinion as well- the new games from the new studio often feel like underfunded clones of whatever the big budget hit was.

I am hopeful that they knock it out of the park... but really that's what we need to see happen.

Become a Patron!
Back