Ghost Recon Breakpoint DX11 vs Vulkan Performance

Brent_Justice

Administrator
Staff member
banner.jpg

Introduction

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint was released in October of 2019.  In the last six months, this game has been very popular among gamers.  Ghost Recon Breakpoint is an online tactical shooter video game developed by Ubisoft Paris and published by Ubisoft.  This game is the eleventh game in the Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon franchise and is a sequel to the 2017 Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands.  Since its release, this game has had consistent patch updates and new content releases.  Just recently, it received a big update which gave the game an entirely new API path to run under. 

Game Engine

Let’s talk a little about the gaming engine first, and then we’ll go into what the new patch brought so we can then test its performance.  The gaming engine this game uses is the...

Continue reading...

Awesome developers! Really pushed their engine for some great gains!

This is another very interesting article which once again I wonder how the 5500XT does with PCIe3 vs PCIe4, I do believe the 5500XT is PCIe 8x and not 16x.

Vulkan just seems more efficient/effective over DX12 plus I like it since Vulkan games usually can play great on Linux, which gives folks more options.

Really think any 4gb card is a waste of money, it would be better to go to the previous generation like the 1060 Ti or Rx 580 then waste money on a new 4gb card. Definitely ignore any 3gb cards from any generation.

Great read, flow and conclusions.

I actually play this quite a bit in what little I have that passes for free time. In any case, Vulkan performance is considerably better than DirectX is. I ran this benchmark on my test bench and found that the averages were actually quite similar, but the minimums and maximum FPS were much better running with Vulkan. More importantly, frame times were noticeably better.

It makes for a smoother experience for sure. It's actually playable at 4K on an RTX 2080 Super at Very High settings. This wasn't the case under DirectX. That's been my experience with it anyway.

Very interesting article. I've actually been playing with the Breakpoint benchmark lately going between Vulkan and DX11 with my 2070 and have found similar, ~20% improvement.

At 1080p and a 2070 I've set Textures to Ultimate, all Shadow settings to Medium and everything else to High and I'm getting 120+ fps pretty much all the time with image quality that honestly looks no different than with everything set to Ultimate at least during game play.

I've actually had fun playing with the settings and trying to find the best combination of image quality and frame rates. First game in a while that I've played where you have enough options to dial up a really good performing and good looking game.

I have had a few crashed on Vulkan tho and I'm not sure why. My most recent theory is its FRAPS that might be causing it. The times it's crashed, I've had it running even tho it doesn't work for Vulkan. I know in some games FRAPS can cause crashes so maybe that's the culprit. I played a few hours last night on Vulkan making sure FRAPS was turned off and had no issues so hopefully that it.

Very interesting article. I've actually been playing with the Breakpoint benchmark lately going between Vulkan and DX11 with my 2070 and have found similar, ~20% improvement.

At 1080p and a 2070 I've set Textures to Ultimate, all Shadow settings to Medium and everything else to High and I'm getting 120+ fps pretty much all the time with image quality that honestly looks no different than with everything set to Ultimate at least during game play.

I've actually had fun playing with the settings and trying to find the best combination of image quality and frame rates. First game in a while that I've played where you have enough options to dial up a really good performing and good looking game.

I have had a few crashed on Vulkan tho and I'm not sure why. My most recent theory is its FRAPS that might be causing it. The times it's crashed, I've had it running even tho it doesn't work for Vulkan. I know in some games FRAPS can cause crashes so maybe that's the culprit. I played a few hours last night on Vulkan making sure FRAPS was turned off and had no issues so hopefully that it.

I've had so much trouble out of FRAPS in recent years that I've basically abandoned using it as a tool for anything.

FRAPS died a long time ago. I use Mirillis Action, been using it since DX12 came out. Never had a problem.

https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html

Supports Vulkan/DX12 just fine.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. FRAPS was just so easy to use that I never stopped. This is the first time I think it's given me problems. Still running Vulkan just fine on Breakpoint so I guess it was FRAPS after all the was causing the issue.

Thanks for the article and the testing you did Brent! THIS is exactly what I love to see - the devs added in a new ****ing renderer well after the game came out, boosting performance. Talk about post-game support. Glad they went with Vulkan and not D3D12. I also love to see the kinds of gains Vulkan and D3D12 can give us over D3D11 and OpenGL 4.5. Just makes me feel good inside.
I've had so much trouble out of FRAPS in recent years that I've basically abandoned using it as a tool for anything.
I usually prefer to use MSI Afterburner+RivaTuner (and before that, eVGA Precision+RivaTuner, before the dude who makes RivaTuner and EVGA had a falling out). I have the OSD up on the game screen, and the graph up on my second monitor (which comes in handy when the OSD doesn't work, like when I play Doom Eternal). FRAPS always used to cause me issues way back in the day, and used to lower game performance a bit too. Steam FPS counter also causes issues from time to time, and it was useless to me cuz I need to see a lot more information than just the framerate.
FRAPS died a long time ago. I use Mirillis Action, been using it since DX12 came out. Never had a problem.

https://mirillis.com/en/products/action.html

Supports Vulkan/DX12 just fine.
I have never heard of this. I shall have to check it out at some point. MSI Afterburner+RivaTuner has almost always gotten the job done, so I never felt the need to use anything else, or to even look into using anything else.

Become a Patron!
Back