Looking to upgrade my display

Triple displays are great for productivity. For gaming, not so much.

I suppose I can agree and disagree on the gaming side. From an overall game experience perspective, it's absolutely glorious to have such a wild field of vision. It's rather immersive and in many shooter games, it's a competitive advantage to have that view. On the downside, not all games are properly optimized for it - many games put menus docked on the left/right of the screen to the point they become useless to me.

On the AMD side (at least, as of a couple years ago), it was quite easy to toggle between primary + extended displays to Eyefinity and back, which allowed the best of both worlds. On the NVIDIA side, it's near impossible to toggle without closing every... last... program.. that ever thought... about using... 3d acceleration to change the Surround mode configuration.

I used something called tidy tabs along with another piece of software that went along side. It allowed me to do basically the samething I imagine the software you are using allows. Divide a monitor into sections so Windows can snap into place without much time or thinking involved.

Display Fusion does this sort of thing. It will maintain 3 separate task bars for each screen (i.e. notepad open on left screen is represented on the left screen task bar) and will do the per-display docking even when you're on Eyefinity/Surround mode.

I suppose I can agree and disagree on the gaming side. From an overall game experience perspective, it's absolutely glorious to have such a wild field of vision. It's rather immersive and in many shooter games, it's a competitive advantage to have that view. On the downside, not all games are properly optimized for it - many games put menus docked on the left/right of the screen to the point they become useless to me.

On the AMD side (at least, as of a couple years ago), it was quite easy to toggle between primary + extended displays to Eyefinity and back, which allowed the best of both worlds. On the NVIDIA side, it's near impossible to toggle without closing every... last... program.. that ever thought... about using... 3d acceleration to change the Surround mode configuration.

Display Fusion does this sort of thing. It will maintain 3 separate task bars for each screen (i.e. notepad open on left screen is represented on the left screen task bar) and will do the per-display docking even when you're on Eyefinity/Surround mode.

I ran a triple display for a lot of years and I don't disagree. It's fantastic when games support it properly. The problem is that fewer and fewer games supported the configuration properly over time. There are many reasons for this, but the big one comes down to "multiplatform game" development. Game developers simply don't put the time into features that will get used by the smallest niche of PC gamers. Fewer and fewer titles get proper support for things like NVSurround/Eyefinity or multiGPU. Without multi-GPU support, multi-monitor gaming is less attractive as pushing that many pixels can be daunting for a single card.

As PC gamers, we are simply lucky that the standards for PC ports now requires developers to implement proper menus and unlocked frame rates. Even then, sometimes these companies do a horrendous or lazy job where we have no anti-aliasing features, bad textures, locked framerates and sometimes physics that are linked to framerates. It's not surprising that multi-display and multi-GPU features don't get implemented when the devs can't even cover the basics in many titles.

Triple displays are great for productivity. For gaming, not so much.

I have always wanted to play Grid/Dirt/insert racing game here on a 3 way rig.

To those that like the "immersive"-ness of a 3way or super ultrawide... Plop down a 43" 4K on your desk at a distance of 2 feet. It's a whole different kind of "immersive" LOL. When I play games I gave up on m&k and use a controller now, and push my chair back a couple more feet.

I have always wanted to play Grid/Dirt/insert racing game here on a 3 way rig.

To those that like the "immersive"-ness of a 3way or super ultrawide... Plop down a 43" 4K on your desk at a distance of 2 feet. It's a whole different kind of "immersive" LOL. When I play games I gave up on m&k and use a controller now, and push my chair back a couple more feet.

I used to use a Samsung KS8500 4K TV for gaming. While it's certainly immersive, being stuck to 60Hz wasn't terribly appealing. And **** a bunch of using a controller. For racing games or fighting games its fine. For everything else I'd rather not use a controller.

Become a Patron!
Back