EA Teases Star Wars Squadrons, a New Starfighter Game

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
star-wars-squadrons-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: EA

Grab your flight helmets, Starfighters! EA has confirmed the existence of Star Wars Squadrons, an aerial assault title that capitalizes on beloved hits such as Rogue Squadron (1998), X-Wing Alliance (1999), and TIE Fighter (1994). There aren’t a lot of details on Squadrons at the moment, but a reveal trailer is slated for Monday, June 15th at 8:00 AM PST.

EA has also shared a beautiful poster with an X-Wing and TIE Fighter pilot. Not surprisingly, the image alludes to exciting space battles featuring all of the Star Wars staples, which include TIE Bombers, Y-Wings, Star Destroyers, and more.

Pilots Wanted. Tune in for the reveal trailer of #StarWarsSquadrons this Monday, June 15th at 8:00 AM Pacific Time...

Continue reading...

I'm already disappointed in the results and I haven't even seen the trailer yet.

lol @ the replies.
I'm enthusiastic to see if its any good but with a large dose of apprehension.
I get the feeling its going to suck due to sales politics.

lol @ the replies.
I'm enthusiastic to see if its any good but with a large dose of apprehension.
I get the feeling its going to suck due to sales politics.

Indeed. This variety of game peaked with Tie Fighter and Xwing vs Tie Fighter in my opinion (though XvT did not include the Tie Defender and Missle boat (iirc) which seemed like a huge nerf to the imperial side). Alliances was a disappointment. Beyond that, I'm not sure they've made an attempt at the open(ish) world Starfighter/dogfight class of games.

They need to get with Blizzard and make a World of Star Wars. I'd buy it day one.

They need to get with Blizzard and make a World of Star Wars. I'd buy it day one.
You know how hard it would be to make a space opera game spanning solar systems in a galaxy? It's... Star citizen hard.

You know how hard it would be to make a space opera game spanning solar systems in a galaxy? It's... Star citizen hard.

Not hard if you structure it like WoW. They already have the foundation for the game. Create new maps, change names and skins, new quests and story line. Boom.

Not hard if you structure it like WoW. They already have the foundation for the game. Create new maps, change names and skins, new quests and story line. Boom.

As well as WoW 2 - Azeroth in Space // Jedi Edition would probably sell, two things would be for certain if any developer went down this path:

a) The standards for Star Wars are so incredibly high there's no way you could possibly please the fan base. **
and
b) At the end of the day, you'd have WoW with different skins again, that formula is pretty tired by now and it would only last in so long as the paint stays shiny. SWTOR is already pretty much WoW dressed up in Star Wars skin

I think the key to doing a Star Wars tie in is up wrapped in two tenets: Don't re-write/ignore canon, and pick something specific and do that specific thing very well as opposed to trying to accomplish a sweeping epic narrative.

I think that's why Mandalorian is doing well, but a lot of other things have failed miserably.

(** note, I'm not trying to excuse the last few Disney movies here)

Last edited:
I just hope it's good. Too many SW games have failed to live up to the name recently.

Become a Patron!
Back