Here’s the First Gameplay Trailer for Star Wars: Squadrons

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
star-wars-squadrons-x-wing-front-1024x576.jpg
Image: Motive/EA

As part of its arguably lukewarm Play 2020 event, EA released the first official gameplay trailer for Motive’s new starfighter title, Star Wars: Squadrons. Apparently, the game has a bit more depth than your average arcade flight simulator, as players will have to customize their ships with an entire range of components and manage various flight systems to win the battle.

“Fight alongside your squadron to tip the scales in monumental fleet battles and compete in intense 5 vs. 5 dogfights,” wrote EA. “Get into the cockpit and triumph as a team by completing tactical objectives across known and never-before-seen battlefields, including the gas giant of Yavin Prime and the shattered moon of Galitan.”

“Customize the loadouts of starfighters such as the X-wing and TIE fighter and divert...

Continue reading...

So from what I gather from reading around online, SW: Squadrons is apparently going for more of a flight-sim feel, kinda realistic (if SW ship dogfighting was something that could be real, in a similar way as to how the Wipeout series is a "realistic" hover-vehicle racer compared to something like F-Zero X or GX). Quite the opposite direction of something like SW Rogue Squadron with its more arcadey feel. I also heard the game will support HOTAS setups. First-person view is the only viewpoint. Apparently there's a lot of focus on just being able to pilot the ships to begin with, and you have to manage systems, like having to balance power between weapons, shields, and engines. The devs tried to find balance between the different vehicle types, like how an X-Wing may have advantages over a TIE Fighter on paper, but since TIEs don't have shields, you also don't have to bother with managing them.

"Our mindset has been very old school. We're trying to say with this game that we have a $40 price point, we want to feel generous to players, and we want it to feel like a complete experience. Like 'You gave us your $40. Here's a game that you will love. Thank you.' That's it. This isn't something we are building around a live-service strategy. It's built around a game that is complete and great in its own right. That's not to say we will never add anything, I guess we could, but it's not presented as a live service." -Squadrons creative director Ian Frazier

They said zero microtransactions. Well this is EA, so you'll have to excuse me if I don't automatically believe you guys 100% right from the get-go.

Anyways sounds like it could be an interesting game. I just hope there's a decent single-player campaign in there.

EDIT: I haven't seen the gameplay trailer yet.
EDIT 2: Okay now I have. Yeah, I'm interested. Wouldn't mind checking it out. Glad the multiplayer mode will have bots. Hope there's some meat to the single-player campaign. I feel like they'll use paid DLC to add more ships.

Last edited:
I don't understand how 5x5 is supposed to work when the Ties don't have shields, and they specifically mention they don't in the video. I'll take 1 X-wing or A-wing with shields over 5 Ties any day of the week. Maybe they will beef up the armor or have unlimited laser firepower as a tradeoff? Who knows.

From what I saw this looks like the BF2-starfighter engine just minus 3rd person view.

Eh who knows. It's EA they will find a way to bone it.

I don't understand how 5x5 is supposed to work when the Ties don't have shields, and they specifically mention they don't in the video. I'll take 1 X-wing or A-wing with shields over 5 Ties any day of the week. Maybe they will beef up the armor or have unlimited laser firepower as a tradeoff? Who knows.

From what I saw this looks like the BF2-starfighter engine just minus 3rd person view.

Eh who knows. It's EA they will find a way to bone it.

There's other ways to balance that in gameplay though - x wings vs ties could mean you have 3 x wings battling 9 Ties at the same time.

There's other ways to balance that in gameplay though - x wings vs ties could mean you have 3 x wings battling 9 Ties at the same time.

It's 5 vs 5 multiplayer. There might be bots flying around too but don't know how that affects numbers. I would be totally fine with 300% Imperial forces, that's in line with their motto. Use cheap fighters and tons of them.

It's 5 vs 5 multiplayer. There might be bots flying around too but don't know how that affects numbers. I would be totally fine with 300% Imperial forces, that's in line with their motto. Use cheap fighters and tons of them.

Sadly, I backspaced my other example of saying Imperials might be more respawns than Rebels, then replaced it with one that bonks the whole 5v5 concept.

Become a Patron!
Back