Like Apple, Samsung May No Longer Include Chargers with Future Smartphones

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
samsung-galaxy-s20-1024x577.jpg
Image: Samsung

If Apple decided to quit the hardware and software industries one day and take up underwater basket weaving, would Samsung follow? Possibly, since the Korean company seems adamant on copying anything the fruit giant does. Case in point: following reports of Apple ditching free chargers with new phones/tablets, Korean publication ETNews claims that Samsung is thinking of doing the same.

“Samsung Electronics is discussing with its partners about a plan that will exclude chargers from a list of components of smartphones,” said multiple representatives from the industry.

“…it is heard that Samsung Electronics is discussing about a plan that will exclude chargers from a list of components of smartphones...

Continue reading...

Of all the cheap *** ways to save a couple bucks. Bad move, Samsung. I expect this behavior from iFruit (Courage!) but not from you.

If they're gonna start ditching chargers included with the purchase of a phone then they all need to come to an agreement on a fast charging solution that works with all phones.

If they're gonna start ditching chargers included with the purchase of a phone then they all need to come to an agreement on a fast charging solution that works with all phones.

Fast charging, not so sure. Wireless charging though, I don't know of any off the top of my head that don't support Qi. So there is a standard, of sorts.

Personally, I'm ok with that. "Fast Charging" has always been a premium purchase for Apple, the included charger was always slow charge. Not saying I wouldn't like a fast charger, but 9 times out of 10 I just set it on my wireless charger while I'm asleep or in the office at my desk, and don't have to worry about it. About the only time I plug my phone in is in the car using GPS, or out in the field on a job and have run it down and plug it into my truck.

Fast charging, not so sure. Wireless charging though, I don't know of any off the top of my head that don't support Qi. So there is a standard, of sorts.

Personally, I'm ok with that. "Fast Charging" has always been a premium purchase for Apple, the included charger was always slow charge. Not saying I wouldn't like a fast charger, but 9 times out of 10 I just set it on my wireless charger while I'm asleep or in the office at my desk, and don't have to worry about it. About the only time I plug my phone in is in the car using GPS, or out in the field on a job and have run it down and plug it into my truck.

Qi is a wireless charger. I am referring to plug in charging. Seems everyone has their own proprietary charging standards. Using a Google charger on an LG for example wont fast charge the LG and vise-versa.

If they're gonna ditch the USB block chargers then at least make a charging standard everyone follows so you only have to buy one charging block (or at least the same blocks will work with all your phones)

Qi is a wireless charger. I am referring to plug in charging. Seems everyone has their own proprietary charging standards. Using a Google charger on an LG for example wont fast charge the LG and vise-versa.

If they're gonna ditch the USB block chargers then at least make a charging standard everyone follows so you only have to buy one charging block (or at least the same blocks will work with all your phones)

If it's the blocks, are there blocks that aren't USB-based in one of it's various many incarnations?

I don't mean the physical interface. I mean the fast-charging technology.

Are there various technologies? I've been in Camp Apple for so long I haven't really paid attention to Android.

Wow, I guess so. I had no idea. Surprisingly enough, Apple supports the open standard there - USB-PD.

Become a Patron!
Back