Google Play Music to Be Discontinued Starting in September

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
google-play-music-logo-green-1024x576.jpg
Image: Google

Google has added another fine addition to its ever-growing graveyard of dead apps and services. This time, it’s Play Music, the company’s music and podcast streaming app, which will sigh its last breath in October (September for New Zealand and South Africa). Play Music’s death may not necessarily be missed, though, since most of its functionality has been replicated by YouTube Music – Google’s other music platform.

“YouTube Music will replace Google Play Music by December 2020,” Google wrote. “Users will have the opportunity to transfer their music libraries from Google Play Music to YouTube Music in that timeframe. Second, in the coming months, Google Play Music users will no longer be able to stream from or use the Google Play Music app. Additionally...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gotten the occasional song through this for myself and others mainly because I was able to download a copy to keep/archive. That option is disappearing after the switch. The only way to download anything is by subscribing to the service at which point it will allow you to download to a mobile device but it must be connected to the service at set intervals to keep it active. It's a crock of **** considering the music was purchased to begin with. At least the few songs I have purchased were previously downloaded and backed up but I won't be buying anything new.

It's also screwed up that you have to manually start the "transfer" of your music over. There is absolutely no reason that it shouldn't be automatic.

"Innovations."

Hey google wave was pretty **** innovative... but I don't think it even lasted a year. Though it was nice I got to stand up our own google wave server to tinker with where I worked before.

Become a Patron!
Back