Nintendo Switch Sales Surpass 61 Million Units

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nintendo-switch-console-1024x577.jpg
Image: Nintendo

Nintendo’s hybrid console is a huge hit that continues to break records. According to the Japanese gaming giant’s latest sales data, the Switch has managed to sell over 61 million units. That’s pretty impressive, being that the console/handheld has only been on the market for a few years.

According to a sales chart that Nintendo Life has shared, the Switch is actually very close to outselling the original NES. But will it be able to beat the Wii’s epic 100+ million achievement?

ConsoleHardware Sales (Million)Software Sales (Million)Wii101.63921.85NES61.91500.01Nintendo Switch61.44406.67SNES49.10379.06Nintendo...

Continue reading...

Not bad for 3 years. Ahead of the Xbox One that's been out for 7 years, but still behind the PS4 by about 50M.

Covid-19 has turned into a gold mine for Nintendo. You cannot find a new switch in stock anywhere.

Covid-19 has turned into a gold mine for Nintendo. You cannot find a new switch in stock anywhere.
I wonder how much of that is intentional. Couldn't hardly find a Wii (or Wii U shortly after release ) in stock either - and it's not like the Wii U was a hot seller. Same with several of the DS models.

I wonder how much of that is intentional. Couldn't hardly find a Wii (or Wii U shortly after release ) in stock either - and it's not like the Wii U was a hot seller. Same with several of the DS models.

I don't understand why it would be intentional this late into the game. The Switch has been around for 3 years already. Not like it's the new hotness. Seems Nintendo would want to keep the shelves full so they can sell more instead of creating a false supply and demand situation.

I think the only time a company wants to use scarcity as a marketing tool is when they do it, such as special edition or limited run products. They will use the sold out aspect of a product as a demonstration of success and some such, but I am sure they would rather sell more instead of not.

Become a Patron!
Back