Apple Terminates Epic Games’s App Store Account

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
epic-games-apple-app-store-ban-1024x576.jpg
Image: Apple

Apple is no longer playing around with Epic Games. As promised, the company has terminated the Fornite maker’s primary developer account, which means that Epic’s apps are no longer available on the iOS App Store (MacRumors and 9to5Mac are reporting that searching for Epic Games turns up nothing).

We previously learned that Epic had won a partial restraining order against Apple, but apparently, that only involved the Epic International account, which is used by third-party app developers for Unreal Engine. That decision did not prevent Apple...

Continue reading...

I'm curious.

What happens to already installed copies of the app? Do they stay, or are they "poof" gone?

I think they stay. You just can't get anymore updates. At least, that's what happened with Fortnite.

I read an article about Facebook going after Apple as well. Something about they put a notice on one of their apps that stated Apple takes a 30% cut on purchases of event tickets on a new app Facebook launched allowing you to buy tickets. Apple did something to remove it.

I think they stay. You just can't get anymore updates. At least, that's what happened with Fortnite.

I read an article about Facebook going after Apple as well. Something about they put a notice on one of their apps that stated Apple takes a 30% cut on purchases of event tickets on a new app Facebook launched allowing you to buy tickets. Apple did something to remove it.

I wonder if a loophole might work.

Any time you do a financial transaction the app launches a web link that is not built in to the app :p

That said, there is no surprise Apple is going all in on fighting this. A pretty significant chunk of their revenue comes from this source. They are going to defeat this or die trying, and they have plenty of money they can use to bury Epic in legal ****.

Last edited:

Any time you do a financial transaction the app launches a web link that is not built in to the app :p

That said, there is no surprise Apple is going all in on fighting this. A pretty significant chunk of their revenue comes from this source. They are defeat this or die trying, and they have plenty of money they can use to bury Epic in legal ****.

Yeah, so does Tencent.

Seems Facebook might get in on the action as well.

Hopefully others who have apps with in-app purchases jump in on the bandwagon also.

That said, there is no surprise Apple is going all in on fighting this. A pretty significant chunk of their revenue comes from this source. They are going to defeat this or die trying, and they have plenty of money they can use to bury Epic in legal ****.

That, more or less, is how Netflix and Amazon get around it. You just can’t put in a link to click - they just mention you can go to their website. Ridiculous really.

Become a Patron!
Back