CD PROJEKT RED Rejects $69.99 Pricing for Next-Gen Versions of Cyberpunk 2077

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
cyberpunk-2077-mohawk-sword-1024x576.jpg
Image: CD PROJEKT RED

Major game publishers such as 2K Games, Activision, and EA have already expressed their enthusiasm for selling PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X games at $69.99 – a $10 premium over the industry’s standard MSRP. CD PROJEKT RED doesn’t seem to be on board with that. During a recent Q&A session, VP of Business Development Michal Nowakowski confirmed that Cyberpunk 2077’s next-gen versions would remain priced at $59.99, which is great news for those of you who already pre-ordered and don’t want any last-second surprises.

Question: Can we...

Continue reading...

Guess I will have to wait for a sale then beeing in Europe, got plenty of backlog anyways, don't need this kind of crap.

What kind of crap. Am I missing g the crap here? The price isn't changing from what was announced. Meh. Good luck avoiding spoilers.

Clever they're clearly planning on raising the price to 69.99 just not for 2077 as you can tell if you re-read his interview. He completely Dodge the question and just be answered the first question

You're looking at the USD prices on those two links. I'm not seeing a European cost on those sites.
Both list prices depending on your location. And both list it for €59.99, which at the current exchange rate is actually $69.99
Steam has been playing the 1 EUR = 1 USD game since it started, but the value difference between the two currencies was never this large before. As far as I can remember.

Both list prices depending on your location. And both list it for €59.99, which at the current exchange rate is actually $69.99
Steam has been playing the 1 EUR = 1 USD game since it started, but the value difference between the two currencies was never this large before. As far as I can remember.
Also have to remember that the European price includes VAT while US prices don't include tax. That difference usually makes up for the 1 EUR = 1 USD conversion.

Also have to remember that the European price includes VAT while US prices don't include tax. That difference usually makes up for the 1 EUR = 1 USD conversion.
Yeah, except no foreign online retailer ever pays VAT on sales, At least that is my understanding. The local governments don't see steam transactions as steam does not pay taxes in these countries, nobody is the wiser. I doubt my local government sees a penny out of steam sales, but even steam doesn't use VAT as an excuse for the 1:1 conversion. It's just a convenient way for them to extract more money. If they actually paid VAT they'd just list games as $59.99+VAT.

Heh.

I'll wait for the steam sale.

I'm not paying more than $29.99 for any game, ever.

Except CD PROJEKT RED isn't foreign, at least not to the EU. It's based in Poland. Remember the Witcher lawsuit? The author of The Witcher is Polish. So, VAT applies across the EU.

Except CD PROJEKT RED isn't foreign, at least not to the EU. It's based in Poland. Remember the Witcher lawsuit? The author of The Witcher is Polish. So, VAT applies across the EU.
Polish currency is the zloty and their VAT is 23%.

It is good to know that they are not planning to change the price at the last minute unlike they did with its release which has been gone forward for three weeks and game will now be released on 10th December 2020.

Is this the time we should remind everyone that when you are selling a product without a per unit cost (or a very small one) like a digital download, the lower the price, the more money you make. The increased sales volume almost always outweighs the lost revenue per sale.

At least according to someone who knows a thing or two about the subject.

Probably not long ago... HL:Alyx was released earlier this year ;)

So a game that required a proprietary 200+ dollar unit that happened to come with a HL game to help move units... is your example of a more reasonably priced game to increase sales? ;)

So a game that required a proprietary 200+ dollar unit that happened to come with a HL game to help move units... is your example of a more reasonably priced game to increase sales? ;)
Well... it did push sales of their overpriced hardware, did it not? ;)

When's the last time he sold a game that his company created?

He takes a flat 30% fee.

He makes more money when studios make more money.

In this particular instance their interests are aligned.

Become a Patron!
Back