PC Gamers Aren’t Happy About Devil May Cry 5’s Console-Exclusive Ray-Tracing Update

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
devil-may-cry-5-special-edition-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: Capcom

During this week’s PlayStation 5 showcase, Capcom announced Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition: a souped-up version of the 2018 hack-and-slash hit that re-introduces fan-favorite Vergil in playable form, two new game modes (Turbo Mode, Legendary Dark Knight), and a handful of technical improvements such as increased frame rates, faster loading times, and – drum roll – ray tracing.

These sound like fantastic reasons to give Devil May Cry 5 a second spin, but unfortunately for PC gamers, the Special Edition will be exclusive to Sony and Microsoft’s next-gen consoles. “Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition is specifically being developed and optimized to benefit the system architecture and leap in processing...

Continue reading...

DMC3 and 4 both had Special Editions, so we knew one was coming for 5. I held off on buying the game cuz I knew a Special Edition version was coming (though I did play the **** outta the game last year, using a friend's copy). However not having a PC version of that Special Edition just doesn't make sense. Capcom's generally been better than most Japanese devs with regards to PC support, so this announcement has me scratching my head. Definitely some strangeness going on.

"Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition is specifically being developed and optimized to benefit the system architecture and leap in processing power offered by PS5 and Xbox Series X, so we’re focusing on these platforms." Uuhh but Zen 2 and RDNA2 and AMD64/x86-64 is PC shiznit. So if it's on those systems it should be on PC.

"Some fans have argued that this isn’t really surprising, since special editions of previous installments were also console exclusives." That's not true, DMC3 and 4 Special Editions are on PC, and 4 isn't too bad a PC port either. I did forget about DmC, but I don't really count that one anyways (though truth be told it wasn't too bad a game either, probably more enjoyable than DMC2).

As for running at 120fps, yeah I figured if devs were gonna start porting over 8th-gen games to the 9th-gen systems, they could at least boost the performance. DMC5 was already a mostly 60fps game on 8th-gen consoles, so cool that it's being bumped up to 120fps. Should work well with the newer HDTVs that have 120Hz refresh rates (which I think most if not all of those also have VRR, FreeSync I think, which both 9th-gen systems support).

Capcom does shaft the PC pretty often. Monster Hunter World is still months behind the console version in updates, and they never brought VR to Resident Evil VII despite early talk that it was going to happen after an exclusivity window on the PlayStation 4. It's just to be expected, so I can't even be mad at this even though their explanation is a load of poo. Just admit that you want people to double-dip.

PC gamers are rarely happy about anything. I hate to say it about a community I've been a part of since the early 80's but man we're a bunch of cry babies. I honestly can't think of the last game release that received praise from the community. Maybe Skyrim?

Capcom is the worst company when it comes to PC ports. They can die in a fiery place for all I care.

PC gamers are rarely happy about anything. I hate to say it about a community I've been a part of since the early 80's but man we're a bunch of cry babies. I honestly can't think of the last game release that received praise from the community. Maybe Skyrim?
Breaking news! people don't like being shafted or left out, who would've thought! This is not PC specific.

Capcom is the worst company when it comes to PC ports. They can die in a fiery place for all I care.
Thing is, the RE Engine and MT Framework are both very excellent game engines and run great on the PC. They could release a great PC game if they wanted to, but they're really inconsistent with their releases.

Yeah, that's usually the battle cry of the angry PC gamers.
Yes, only PC gamers, because there wasn't an uproar about Control being a paid next gen upgrade on consoles.
And the backlash on TLOU2 were also all PC gamers!

Yes, only PC gamers, because there wasn't an uproar about Control being a paid next gen upgrade on consoles.
And the backlash on TLOU2 were also all PC gamers!

Well guess you showed me. Console gamers get angry too. Guess that completely invalidates my point.

Well guess you showed me. Console gamers get angry too. Guess that completely invalidates my point.
In order for you to have a point there must be some cases where console players didn't care about something that specifically annoyed PC gamers. I'm not saying there aren't, I just can't think of any. If you want your point to stand surely you can provide examples. Sarcasm ain't going to cut it. For that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Become a Patron!
Back