Xbox Series X/S’s 1 TB Storage Expansion Cards Cost $220

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
xbox-series-x-storage-expansion-slot-1024x576.jpg
Image: Microsoft

Prospective Xbox Series X/S owners who plan to expand the capacity of their built-in NVMe SSDs (1 TB, 512 GB) with expansion card solutions should prepare to pay dearly. The listing for Seagate’s 1 TB Game Drive has popped up on Best Buy, and it’s a whopping $220.

That’s kind of ridiculous, isn’t it? Run a quick search at your favorite retailer, and you’ll find that 1 TB SSDs can easily be found for $100 or less.

According to Microsoft’s Jason Ronald (Director of Program Management), the premium stems from the expansion cards’ PCIe 4.0 speeds and their ability to shift data 40x faster than standard HDDs.

“This level of consistent, sustained performance requires...

Continue reading...

It certainly is on the more expensive side even for an NVMe drive, but I honestly thought they were going to be even more expensive given the proprietary design. Let see what the price looks like in a year when there are more products on the market competing against each other.

Lets see what compatible drives turn out to be fine for XBX/PS5 and can be used.

I wouldn't pay $200 for something I could buy for $100 and modify slightly. Xbox 360 120gb hdd firmware flash anyone? That was like a $200 upgrade that wasn't that hard to modify a $50 drive and make work. I know 120gb is nothing now, but back in the 360 days it was like an infinite amount of space (sorta). PS4 was even easier, didn't have to flash anything. 500gb drive came out, 2tb drive went in.

And since when does seagate make nvme drives? I must have missed that meeting.

That's basically Samsung pricing. Probably not Samsung quality, of course, but if the drives can keep up it's not too out to lunch.

Would definitely like to see prices on higher-capacity expansion cards though!

I'd like to see what 3rd-party options will be available. I still prefer the way Sony does things with PS3, PS4, and I think PS5: throw in your own off-the-shelf drive.

Last edited:
I'd like to see what 3rd-party options will be available. I still prefer the say Sony does things with PS3, PS4, and I think PS5: throw in your own off-the-shelf drive.
That could actually be pretty dangerous for Sony with the PS5, where they need guaranteed performance for their version of game asset streaming.

That could actually be pretty dangerous for Sony with the PS5, where they need guaranteed performance for their version of game asset streaming.
I've heard the same multiple times, and indeed it will be interesting to see how that situation plays out when devs have had a few years to get familiar with the hardware and really start cranking out games built for these systems from the ground-up.

Become a Patron!
Back