NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Game-Crash Issues Caused by Weaker Capacitors, Limited QA?

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

We previously shared a story regarding reports of third-party GeForce RTX 3080 owners encountering crashes (game to desktop) whenever their cards exceeded clocks of 2.0 GHz or greater. NVIDIA’s AIC partners haven’t confirmed the exact cause yet or how widespread the issue actually is, but Igor Wallossek has shared insight on why this might be happening.

One supposed reason is that NVIDIA sent out proper drivers very late, which meant that AICs could not test their cards thoroughly and confirm their stability under tougher conditions (e.g., higher thermals). Wallossek suggests...

Continue reading...

I trust that the official reference design is the XC3 Black which is mixed.
I believe this issue is likely a case of AIBs cheaping out on components/design.

Hopefully a new vbios can fix it.

Just watched Jaystwocents latest video. It's really sad that manufacturers would do this, but it goes to show you that being first to get something isn't always in everyone's best interest. I do have a step up through EVGA waiting down the line, so hopefully this gets sorted out.

Just watched Jaystwocents latest video. It's really sad that manufacturers would do this, but it goes to show you that being first to get something isn't always in everyone's best interest. I do have a step up through EVGA waiting down the line, so hopefully this gets sorted out.
Watched Jay too and agree.

I guess ASUS learned from their last TUF debacle, it would seem the TUF 3080 is a really good buy.

Lisa Su is a genius .. letting Nvidia going ahead so they can shoot themselves in the foot and then AMD can ..hopefully.. learn from their (Nvidia's) mistakes.

... or just a happy co-inky dink in AMD's favor

That's a good read, I had no idea the difference between the two. So if I'm reading and understanding it right, it's not that the MLCC are necessarily "better" than poscaps but rather they are better for this application where small size and tight spaces are involved?
Yes, but most importantly MLCCs handle higher voltages better. And cost...

"The comparison of the characteristics outlined above is
only partial in nature. Each type of capacitor is well suited
to some fields and poorly suited to others. When actually
designing circuits it is necessary to consider a number
of factors on addition to the characteristics described
above, such as cost and size, on order to select the
best capacitor for the job if space is limited, all-purpose
MLCCs are the best. MLCCs are also suitable for applications
where the ability to deal with very high voltages
is needed because of their high withstand voltage performance
and ability to withstand reverse voltage.
Typical
polymer capacitors are a good choice when both, higher
capacitance and low ESR are important. Especially the
potential cost and space saving when comparing single
polymer capacitors to an equivalent of multiple MLCCs
can make a big different in designing PCBs
."

Very interesting. Another apace invaders issue but with error correcting memory.

Not really.

Just some board partners cheaping out and using non suitable caps.
Yea just watched the Jayz to cents. Sounds like the FE cards are the way to go to ensure you have good components all the way around.

Asus went all out on the caps too, good stuff.

I've been trying like crazy to find the ASUS TUF 3080 in stock and snag one, but I'm thinking this new information is going to make it even harder, now.

I just hope ASUS doesn't cheap out and reduce the number of MLCC arrays going forward since they now have confirmation that their Ampere offerings are, essentially, over-built.

That is why EVGA is about my favorite brand these days. It seems like they're about the only ones that give a crap about their customers anymore.

I just hope ASUS doesn't cheap out and reduce the number of MLCC arrays going forward since they now have confirmation that their Ampere offerings are, essentially, over-built.

I don't think they will. That's always been TUF's calling card, they may not have all the frills and features others have but they have near bulletproof build quality.

It would seem now that it's less about the CAPS and more about cards simply boosting too high.

Expect a incoming BIOS/Drivers fix.
Good quality cards will still boost high and have a decent OC.

Become a Patron!
Back