Mac Users Can’t Stream Netflix in 4K without T2 Security Chip

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
apple-t2-security-chip-1024x576.jpg
Image: Apple

It’s been a long time coming, but Mac owners will finally be able to stream their favorite shows on Netflix in Ultra HD (4K) quality soon. The only problem is that they’re going to need a T2 Security Chip to do it, which is exclusive to newer models.

The hardware requirement was outed by Netflix, which updated the Ultra HD portion of its Mac support article with the following information:

A Mac computer with macOS 11.0 Big Sur installed.The latest version of Safari browserSelect 2018 or later Mac computer with an Apple T2 Security chipA 60Hz 4K capable display (with HDCP 2.2 connection if external display).NOTE: Every monitor connected to your computer must meet these requirements to successfully stream in Ultra HD.A plan that supports streaming in Ultra HD. You can check which plan you’re currently on at...

Continue reading...

Interesting.

I ahven't had a Netflix subscription in years.

Do any other platforms require special hardware DRM chips in order to view 4k content?

Interesting.

I ahven't had a Netflix subscription in years.

Do any other platforms require special hardware DRM chips in order to view 4k content?
This is the first one that I know of. Both Amazon and Netflix just requires HDCP 2.2, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think Netflix supports AMD video cards, so you either need to stream with a Skylake iGPU or a Pascal and newer NVIDIA GPU for 4K.

Become a Patron!
Back