NVIDIA CEO: GeForce RTX 3080/3090 Shortages to Last Until 2021 Due to Mind-Blowing Demand

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-key-art-1024x576.jpg
Image: NVIDIA

Were you able to score one of NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs? Consider yourself lucky, as other enthusiasts may not be able to get their hands on one until 2021. That’s according to green team’s outspoken CEO, Jensen Huang, who spoke during a recent Q&A (via Tom’s Hardware) and suggested that GeForce RTX 3080 and GeForce RTX 3090 shortages would persist through the remainder of the year.

“I believe that demand will outstrip all of our supply through the year,” Huang said. “Remember, we’re also going into the double-whammy. The double-whammy is the...

Continue reading...

Must be every influencers nightmare, working their ***** of in secret testing these cards under NDA and not get any affiliate sales as there is nothing to sell.

I wonder why hardware companies still bother, not like it wont sellout either way.

Nothing at all to do with non-existent memory supply. Nope.

From what I understand, they have sold 10s of thousands of 30 series cards and it seems to many like they have sold none as they sell out instantly.

It is insane that demand is so incredibly high right now.

And it isn't even 30 series cards. It is a seller's market right now.

From what I understand, they have sold 10s of thousands of 30 series cards and it seems to many like they have sold none as they sell out instantly.

It is insane that demand is so incredibly high right now.

And it isn't even 30 series cards. It is a seller's market right now.
10s of thousands IS nothing. Consoles will probably be in th 100s of thousands and will be considered a shortage, I'm willing to bet.

Console sales will be in the millions in the first few months but really can't be compared to $700+ and $1500+ graphics cards. There is more supply than 20 series cards and way more demand.

I don't remember anywhere the outrage when you couldn't buy a 3900X for months. The 30 series hasn't even been out for a month and people expect NVIDIA to have 100s of thousands ready for launch. They are being manufactured as fast as possible and it's impossible to meet demand. There is nothing NVIDIA can do at this point except delay further launches which is what they are doing.

All we can really hope is that Samsung increases capacity for future launches (40 series, 30 series refresh, etc).

Console sales will be in the millions in the first few months but really can't be compared to $700+ and $1500+ graphics cards. There is more supply than 20 series cards and way more demand.

I don't remember anywhere the outrage when you couldn't buy a 3900X for months. The 30 series hasn't even been out for a month and people expect NVIDIA to have 100s of thousands ready for launch. They are being manufactured as fast as possible and it's impossible to meet demand. There is nothing NVIDIA can do at this point except delay further launches which is what they are doing.

All we can really hope is that Samsung increases capacity for future launches (40 series, 30 series refresh, etc).

It's 100% nVidia's fault. nVidia rushed the cards out the door knowing there would be no real supply at launch. It's also likely nVidia knew there would be no real supply for quite a while as well. Either that is due to bad yields for the chip or bad yields for the memory or simply that production on one or either wasn't going to be there. All of this would have been known in advance by nVidia unless you want to say the people running the company are complete idiots who are unable to handle the basics of having something manufactured. The problem is nVidia knew there were going to massive supply problems no matter what the demand was.

It's 100% nVidia's fault. nVidia rushed the cards out the door knowing there would be no real supply at launch. It's also likely nVidia knew there would be no real supply for quite a while as well. Either that is due to bad yields for the chip or bad yields for the memory or simply that production on one or either wasn't going to be there. All of this would have been known in advance by nVidia unless you want to say the people running the company are complete idiots who are unable to handle the basics of having something manufactured. The problem is nVidia knew there were going to massive supply problems no matter what the demand was.
Yeah that actually makes sense.. can't do the supply steal the mindshare meanwhile. Its not the wrong decision business wise. AMD on the other hand would benefit from the reverse, either launch with big supply, or as suggested launch with pre-order and timelines on those or some such.

You just read an article full of phenomenal bullsh*t.
Yup it's a phenomenon.......LoL.

Seems like Nvidia EOL'd the 2080Ti too soon and sold a lot more then they thought due to the stay at home crap with the human malware and had to rush their new flagship so they had one to still sell even if quantities are abysmall.

That's just ridiculous! So about the time you're able to buy a 3000 card, people will already be asking the "should I wait for the 4000 cards" question.

I've been sort of a defender of Nvidia during this but I'm starting to think otherwise. Is demad really that insane, for a $700 and $1200 card, that they're selling out of these things before they're even shipped? That's just seeming more and more unlikely to me.

I'm starting to agree with those that have been saying Nvidia rushed this launch by a couple of months just to stick it to AMD and maybe beat out the console launches rather than wait til they had plenty of stock and enough time for AIB's to run thru a little more R&D so they didn't have to reduce clocks to keep their cards from crashing.

I was really wanting a 3080 but now I don't really care and may end up skipping this generation completely. Yeah the 3070 at $500 would be too sweet a deal to pass up but I'm sure they'll break the internet too.

Last edited:
I 100% agree that it is on NVIDIA for not gathering supply up for months before launch but you can't blame it on knowledge of previous launches.
NVIDIA has more supply than the 20 series and the 20 series didn't have this demand issue. They expected and supplied more than the 20 series and the demand is, from what I can tell, unmeetable.

I mean this is NVIDIA we are talking about. They aren't planning on throwing money away. If they had anticipated this demand, I see no reason they would have priced the 3080 and 3090 so 'cheaply'.

EVGA is implementing a queue system. Sign up to be notified about the product you are interested, and you will receive an e-mail to notify you it is available. The product will then be put on hold for you for 5 hours from the time of the e-mail. If you do not complete your order within that 5 hours the product will be released and made available for the next person in line.

https://forums.evga.com/New-EVGAcom-Notification-Checkout-Process-m3108092.aspx

Sounds like a good idea, to me.

EVGA is implementing a queue system. Sign up to be notified about the product you are interested, and you will receive an e-mail to notify you it is available. The product will then be put on hold for you for 5 hours from the time of the e-mail. If you do not complete your order within that 5 hours the product will be released and made available for the next person in line.

https://forums.evga.com/New-EVGAcom-Notification-Checkout-Process-m3108092.aspx

Sounds like a good idea, to me.
That's nice and free..., other proven system is a deposit system of course.
Plenty of ways to fight scalpers and ease supplies concerns.

The level of communication EVGA has with its customers is really making me want to go back with them this time around. Just waiting for the hybrid 3090 to come out.

This whole thing that NVIDIA didn't think there would be this much demand or interest is bogus to me. Jensen even said in his keynote that 10 series users can upgrade now, they enticed a whole generation of card upgrades on top of everything else. Of course, they expected great demand, when you tell all 10 series you can upgrade, you kinda expect they might. They knew.

"We've shipped literally 10s of cards, guys. Totally not a paper launch."

Become a Patron!
Back