NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition Review

I’ve always roughly grouped GPUs by price as well. I don’t know if low/med/hi really matters, but generally <$150, 150-200, 180-250, 250-350, 350-500, 500+ are more or less the buckets I’ve always kinda seen

Times were much simpler a few years ago. You had the top end card and a cut down version, then a couple of midrange cards, a mainstream card and a value card.

Now there are too many choices.

Once we went over $500 dlls for a videocard thing went downhill

Times were much simpler a few years ago. You had the top end card and a cut down version, then a couple of midrange cards, a mainstream card and a value card.

Now there are too many choices.

Once we went over $500 dlls for a videocard thing went downhill

How else would a bubble build?

I’ve always roughly grouped GPUs by price as well. I don’t know if low/med/hi really matters, but generally <$150, 150-200, 180-250, 250-350, 350-500, 500+ are more or less the buckets I’ve always kinda seen
That's pretty much how I see it, with the 3070 hitting the upper end of upper mid-range.

I managed to order one of these (somehow) from the Microcenter web store earlier this morning, well after Best Buy and Newegg were out of stock. I am guessing my order will get cancelled. There is no way Microcenter got that much FE inventory.

I was literally one minute late signing in to my work computer, and I missed out on the Best Buy inventory. Figures.

I "managed" to buy an MSI one, only to find out I was the 4th one to order one and they only got 2, expected delivery time now is approx 1 month (could be faster but they are very cautious with estimated dates) so if that is improved stock, I wonder how many 3080's they got.

I seen a shop that is expecting PNY 3070's but they are listed at 999€, that's nut's.

I also almost went for a Gigabyte 3080 that was in stock for a while but at 1099€ that was too much they also had a 3090 of the same model that was listed at 1999€ (and has been sold in the meantime too)

I find really odd that of all the reviews I saw, NONE of them recommended waiting for AMD. Many of them actually recommended just to go buy the RTX3070 right away giving it awards and such.

For example Linus said in its RTX3070 review to go and buy one before they went out of stock BEFORE starting the review.
Fast forward to yesterday and now he recommends waiting for AMDs cards release to make up your mind.

So now everyone is recommending to just wait for the 6800/6800XT.

I find really odd that of all the reviews I saw, NONE of them recommended waiting for AMD. Many of them actually recommended just to go buy the RTX3070 right away giving it awards and such.

For example Linus said in its RTX3070 review to go and buy one before they went out of stock BEFORE starting the review.
Fast forward to yesterday and now he recommends waiting for AMDs cards release to make up your mind.

So now everyone is recommending to just wait for the 6800/6800XT.

Those video's may have been made for the old launch and delayed and they could not be assed to edit them? I don't know, did not watch any yet.

Those video's may have been made for the old launch and delayed and they could not be assed to edit them? I don't know, did not watch any yet.

Could be, but AFAIK reviewers get their cards just a few days before launch, and by then pretty much everyone knew about AMD potential performance, so a wait and see approach could at least been suggested.

As a reviewer, you really can't opine on something that you don't know anything about. At the time of the review embargo lifting, the RX series was nothing but a promised presentation and no press guidance given as to expectations. You guys would be looking at him like he had three eyes and a cone shaped head if the 3070 FE conclusion was to wait for AMD to announce something that may not even be price/performance competitive to it.

That being said, the new information (that has not been independently validated) provided by AMD the next day makes it look like something that could be worth waiting for to compare to the 3070 FE. Therefore, it makes sense to change the opinion on waiting, though, with the current market availability, it's not like it's going to be a choice for most everyone.

As a reviewer, you really can't opine on something that you don't know anything about. At the time of the review embargo lifting, the RX series was nothing but a promised presentation and no press guidance given as to expectations. You guys would be looking at him like he had three eyes and a cone shaped head if the 3070 FE conclusion was to wait for AMD to announce something that may not even be price/performance competitive to it.

That being said, the new information (that has not been independently validated) provided by AMD the next day makes it look like something that could be worth waiting for to compare to the 3070 FE. Therefore, it makes sense to change the opinion on waiting, though, with the current market availability, it's not like it's going to be a choice for most everyone.

Thing for me was that with so many sites recommending the RTX3070, it sounded like they knew something we didn't like AMD wouldn't have something to counter it. It ended up that they didn't know what AMD had in its bag of tricks.

Most of these sites are reputable ones so I expected them to know better.

Anyway, I don't know what I'm complaining about since its been a really long time since we had real competition. In the end Gamers win.

Thing for me was that with so many sites recommending the RTX3070, it sounded like they knew something we didn't like AMD wouldn't have something to counter it. It ended up that they didn't know what AMD had in its bag of tricks.

Most of these sites are reputable ones so I expected them to know better.

Anyway, I don't know what I'm complaining about since its been a really long time since we had real competition. In the end Gamers win.

While we have certainly published leaks in the news section over the past month that have been all over the board with what RX 6000 may or may not be, we found out what AMD had to offer at the same time as everyone else during that live stream. Sure, we can all read the rumors that AMD might have something interesting to share, at the time the 3070 reviews were published, that's all there was.

I am looking forward to the competition though.

I think part of the problem is that with ~some~ reviewers... everyone gets an Award! So you can't really tell what that means anymore. Winning some random award is just a subjective opinion with a special graphic tagged at the end of the review.

It's not like the hardware all has a deathmatch, all may enter, one may leave .. some sites nearly every single GPU or CPU reviewed gets a Silver or Gold star, so long as the company is providing the review samples.

There should be some objective qualifications for an award. I don't know what... maybe every category is something different... but something. so that the awards at least have some objective meaning... And then if every item wins an award, you know it's because they are at least meeting some minimum bar.

I always liked your guys PSU reviews, because winning an award there meant it passed a pretty grueling torture test. Even if it didn't win a Gold, it still meant it was a good PSU. Wish we could bring something like that to GPUs and CPUs, but honestly I don't know what the metrics would be that would keep it from being entirely subjective.

I think part of the problem is that with ~some~ reviewers... everyone gets an Award! So you can't really tell what that means anymore. Winning some random award is just a subjective opinion with a special graphic tagged at the end of the review.

It's not like the hardware all has a deathmatch, all may enter, one may leave .. some sites nearly every single GPU or CPU reviewed gets a Silver or Gold star, so long as the company is providing the review samples.

There should be some objective qualifications for an award. I don't know what... maybe every category is something different... but something. so that the awards at least have some objective meaning... And then if every item wins an award, you know it's because they are at least meeting some minimum bar.

I always liked your guys PSU reviews, because winning an award there meant it passed a pretty grueling torture test. Even if it didn't win a Gold, it still meant it was a good PSU. Wish we could bring something like that to GPUs and CPUs, but honestly I don't know what the metrics would be that would keep it from being entirely subjective.
I agree with you completely when it comes to some sites and their award tendencies. I know HardOCP used to be VERY strict with their awarding of awards at the end of reviews, and being as this site has most of the old staff here now I believe the same tough standards are being met today.

I have my eye on what I'd like in a card, and I'll wait for this place to validate my thoughts. All I can do is wait for AMD's release and inevitable proper testing being done.

I "managed" to buy an MSI one, only to find out I was the 4th one to order one and they only got 2, expected delivery time now is approx 1 month (could be faster but they are very cautious with estimated dates) so if that is improved stock, I wonder how many 3080's they got.

I seen a shop that is expecting PNY 3070's but they are listed at 999€, that's nut's.

I also almost went for a Gigabyte 3080 that was in stock for a while but at 1099€ that was too much they also had a 3090 of the same model that was listed at 1999€ (and has been sold in the meantime too)

So a little update, I got a call from the store today saying they been in contact with MSI but have no idea when more will come in, they did however get a couple zotacs 3070's in that were available so I gave the ok to send me that one instead (also letting me know that if I wanted ti stay with my original order I might not get my card this year.

Sidenote while talking to the employee I mentioned I would have preffered an Asus TUF originally after which I was told they already have 400+ sold as preorder, might be some cancellations there once AMD launches their cards.

I think that the problem stems from a comprehensive rating not really being a linear, unidimensional thing, but on the other hand, that's exactly what people want to see, from casual buyers to marketers.

Like, is it a good product? Is it a good product for specific common uses? Uncommon uses? Is it a good product compared to other products in its class? Is it a good value?

A power supply ...not exploding... that's given a 'Pass!' rating is fairly straightforward, of course. If it's somewhat above average, maybe that's a Bronze, and then other 'medals' follow with a better showing.

Now do that with motherboards :).

I agree with you completely when it comes to some sites and their award tendencies. I know HardOCP used to be VERY strict with their awarding of awards at the end of reviews, and being as this site has most of the old staff here now I believe the same tough standards are being met today.

I have my eye on what I'd like in a card, and I'll wait for this place to validate my thoughts. All I can do is wait for AMD's release and inevitable proper testing being done.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me and the GPU reviews I did at [H] the reward was subjective, I was free to put one as I desired, and I'm using the same internal criteria for awards that I used there, here.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me and the GPU reviews I did at [H] the reward was subjective, I was free to put one as I desired, and I'm using the same internal criteria for awards that I used there, here.
Yeah, that's why I mentioned the PSU awards - they had very objective measures.

That being said, I don't really know what measures you would have for GPUs, so this isn't like a scathing rebuke of your methods or anything. And in GPUs, you can have several different SKUs of the same GPU... so how do you differentiate an award given to the GPU architecture versus one given to the AIB for a good implementation of a particular SKU?

So I don't come bearing any solutions better than what your already doing, other than to point out the awards are pretty obviously subjective, but fortunately, you have earned my trust in judgement on them.. whereas I can't say that about other sites. I'd just feel warm and fuzzy if there were something more subjective, but I don't have a good suggestion for how exactly that should look.

Become a Patron!
Back