NVIDIA Rumors Point to GeForce RTX 40 Series on 5 nm, New Ampere Models (RTX 3060|3050 Ti)

By the uncharacteristic actions they are taking. Fully admit this is opinion based on only 30 years as a computer enthusiast and IT professional. I could be wrong.
I expect that they're making calculated moves, but leaks are a potential problem for every company; there's no way to discount the possibility that they are or are not intended.
Worse, the only leak anyone wants to hear is that there's stock on the way.

I doubt it because Samsung's fab is lower quality than TMSC which is why nVidia got a huge discount.

Samsung 5nm is questionable, especially compared to tsmc.

The only reason they would be attempting 5nm (if this is true) would be because of power requirements. They need a node shrink to bring that down because ampere is absurdly power hungry.

By the uncharacteristic actions they are taking. Fully admit this is opinion based on only 30 years as a computer enthusiast and IT professional. I could be wrong.

So speculation, ok.

Now speculating myself, I'd say that nvidia hasn't launched cards on the latest manufacturing process, since... I can't remember. So this would be a first in quite a while.

While ampere does come in a 7nm process in its GA100 flavor, its anyone's guess if they can move the rest of the family. It does seem like the logical choice, but maybe, maybe not.

Thing is that AFAIK, TSMC 5nm is better than 7nm on yields because of EUV, so there's a chance that there will be much bigger gains moving to it but nvidia has taken a wait and see approach before moving to a newer node and it worked pretty well up until ampere 8nm samsung node.

Become a Patron!
Back