World of Warcraft: Shadowlands’ Ray-Traced Effects Don’t Seem to Make Much of a Difference

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
world-of-warcraft-shadowlands-screenshot-bone-armor-1024x576.jpg
Image: Blizzard

Earlier this week, AMD released a new Radeon RX 6000 Series partner showcase video that demonstrates what World of Warcraft: Shadowlands’ ray-traced effects look like through its RDNA 2 graphics cards.

These include FidelityFX Ambient Occlusion and ray-traced shadows, but unfortunately, many users are pointing out that there doesn’t seem to be any real difference, which is quite evident in the on and off comparisons.

Check out the video below and let us know what you think. While we’ve seen some pretty impressive (or, at least, obvious) usage of ray tracing in select titles, World of Warcraft: Shadowlands doesn’t seem to be one of...

Continue reading...

I don't know the ray traced imagine does look a lot better to me more details and colors look better, perhaps because light is used better.... The other, i don't know if I see anything.

The problem with these screen shots is the content is different. Want to impress me get 50 people together in game with lanterns going and let's see how Ray tracing works as they all walk in an organized figure eight.

Theoretically, WoW could be a pretty good showcase for RT. Not because it'll be more realistic, but because RT would allow for many of the lighting inconsistencies to be addressed. Blizzard should be all over this; their consistent art direction is one of their fundamental signatures, and RT should make it significantly easier to accomplish.

And yeah, what @Grimlakin said, word for word bro.

Not really making me care about ray tracing here.
All they are ray tracing is the shadows. They are not even making the surfaces react to the changing light. I don't know what they are using for their light sources. Not a very good first outing for AMD and ray tracing on the PC.

Become a Patron!
Back