Apple to Pay an Additional $113 Million for Throttling Older iPhones

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
apple-iphone-7-assortment-1024x576.jpg
Image: Apple

Apple’s lawyers are some of the best in the world, but even they weren’t able to argue their way out of “Batterygate” – a tech scandal that involves the intentional throttling of older iPhone models, such as the iPhone 6, iPhone 7 and iPhone SE.

The company initially claimed that it was slowing the devices down to counteract the consequences of aging lithium-ion batteries (e.g., unexpected crashes), but many users saw it as a deliberate act of planned obsolescence. Apple’s attempt to conceal the matter also made things worse.

Following a big lawsuit by over 30 state attorneys general, Apple has now been ordered to pay $113 million over iPhone throttling. This happens to be the second payout that the company has to attend to, with the first being a $500 million class action settlement.

A copy of the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure a payment of .05% of their 2 trillion value will really hurt them. Way to stick it to them!! That's like someone hitting me with a terrible fine for 20 bucks.

I'm sure a payment of .05% of their 2 trillion value will really hurt them. Way to stick it to them!! That's like someone hitting me with a terrible fine for 20 bucks.
Yeah but it would still grind at me if I had to throw $20 at something I didn't think was wrong.

Become a Patron!
Back