It’s Official: AMD Radeon RX 6800 Series Is a Paper Launch

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt-top-1024x576.jpg
Image: AMD

NVIDIA has been thoroughly chastised and raked across the coals for its lackluster GeForce RTX 30 Series debut. It’s been bad enough that nobody believed that AMD could fare any worse, but judging by the epic ranting that we’ve seen over the past couple of days, red team has actually managed to dig itself into an even more disastrous position, with Radeon RX 6800 Series graphics cards being nowhere to be found at standard retail channels.

Two of the most hotly upvoted threads on r/AMD illustrate the pain of Radeon users itching to upgrade to RDNA 2 perfectly, as even the most die-hard fans have begun to admit that the Radeon RX 6800 Series might be one of the most disappointing graphics card launches ever.

“Prices sky high and...

Continue reading...

Yes paper launch

But only for AIB & custom cards

As Frank Azor himself proved, reference cards should be available including from AIB's website (atleast in USA)

HardwareUnboxed ripped AMD pretty good at the end of their Red Devil RX 6800 XT review.

Kinda gross, making me consider just grabbing a placeholder GPU (ie: RX 5700 XT) and skipping this generation of GPUs.

Yes paper launch

But only for AIB & custom cards

As Frank Azor himself proved, reference cards should be available including from AIB's website (atleast in USA)
Azor's cred is a bit low atm

HardwareUnboxed ripped AMD pretty good at the end of their Red Devil RX 6800 XT review.

Kinda gross, making me consider just grabbing a placeholder GPU (ie: RX 5700 XT) and skipping this generation of GPUs.
It's pretty messed up ATM, and really makes me appreciate my little RTX2070

Look,that is misleading.
It aint paper, they had product, how much exactly, no one knows; just like nvidia.
I admit, it sucks releasing a product with such poor inventory support.
That said, all this hate should be directed where it's deserved, at the botmasters and Ebay scammers.
There is no joy in Mudville, but by Spring we'll have all we can eat and a COVID vaccine too.

Look,that is misleading.
It aint paper, they had product, how much exactly, no one knows; just like nvidia.
I admit, it sucks releasing a product with such poor inventory support.
That said, all this hate should be directed where it's deserved, at the botmasters and Ebay scammers.
There is no joy in Mudville, but by Spring we'll have all we can eat and a COVID vaccine too.
AMD and Nvidia both launched with great hype and both knew ahead of time they had low inventory.
They created this mess and shortage. AMD maybe even a bit more.
I straight out blame AMD and Nv.

And in AMD's case, now we have no reference GPU's available and the board partners products are significantly higher priced.
Sapphire's latest 6800XT is at $769 . MSRP. Reference was at $649 MSRP.

It is disappointing. Par for the course for 2020 though...

AMD’s Chief Architect of Gaming Solutions & Marketing Frank Azor is responsible for that first one, having sent a cheeky tweet back in September suggesting that there would be plenty of RDNA 2 cards available.

Anybody remember that JeffAMD guy that worked for AMD back before Bulldozer released that went around to all the forums saying IPC won't matter and all kinds of other things about how great Bulldozer was gonna be? Then he dropped off the face of the earth after we saw how bad the FX-8150 really was.

Just weird that they sorta tried it again it seems.

AMD cards are worse then Nvidia here, a 6800 non XT goes for € 899 that's more then a 3080 a 6800XT is € 999 and these are basic Gigabyte cards no others even mentioned on that vendors website, my go to shop has none listed at all.

A rant from the past ...

The Paper Launch: NVIDIA and ATI’s release circus

It's been a while since everyone was fully riled up about paper launches and the like, which means it's a good time to have a level-headed discussion about the topic. What is a paper launch? In general, the phrase is used to denote product announcements that explicitly compare the "new product" with other actually available products, despite the fact that the newly announced product is not actually available to consumers. We've seen a lot of this in the CPU and video card markets: 8 reviews come out on the same day touting X or Y, but it will be weeks (if not months) before the product is actually available. From my own experiences, I would say that the issue of paper launches being "good" or "bad" rests in part on the definition of a paper launch. Just what is it?

https://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2004/07/4039-2/

Umm, only reference cards were released day 1 and aib cards JUST released Wednesday. What Absor did was say, "It's not a paper launch, I was able to order one!" Which could've be done at any point while they tested and validated the pages. And could've been a legit order, as the cards were released early on several sites. Including AMD's.

It also doesn't help that there are videos on youtube of employees at retail stores warning people that they had only received a fraction of the cards they had compared to the Nvidia launch.

That was JUST the reference card launch. Oh, and Amazon allowed preorders for the aib cards on Monday, two days before they were supposed to drop. They were already gone by the time any actual human was able to navigate to those pages since it was completely unexpected.

Yes, it was. Brick and mortar stores received less than a dozen in most cases vs even nvidias 30-40. Online retailers were sold out in far less time than nvidias drops last now. Which suggests they likely had a couple hundred at best.

Guys, it’s not scalping anymore. It’s called retail arbitrage, Google it.

I should have been clearer: It’s scalping if you’re the one paying the higher price, it’s retail arbitrage if you’re the one selling/profiting.

Call it what you want, either way inventory was nonexistent even though AMD tried to troll Nvidia. Let’s see how the situation is by let’s say February, if it’s still like this then we know they really were just blowing smoke when they said “at least you’ll be able to buy it”.

Become a Patron!
Back