Warner Bros. Releasing Entire 2021 Film Slate (Dune, Matrix 4, and More) Straight to HBO Max

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
the-matrix-4-logo-1024x576.jpg
Image: Warner Bros.

In a shocking blow to the struggling theater industry, Warner Bros. has announced that all of its 2021 films will be getting a day-and-date release on HBO Max. What this effectively means is that there is zero reason for WB fans with nice AV setups to step foot into a theater next year, as Dune, Matrix 4, Godzilla vs. Kong, and other heavily anticipated blockbusters will be available to stream in the comfort of their homes on day one.

While release dates are subject to change, here’s a list of the movies that HBO Max subscribers can expect to enjoy next year. All of them will be available to stream in 4K Ultra HD and HDR for an exclusive one-month access...

Continue reading...

Except streaming quality is ****.

The bitrates need to be much much higher.

A 2 hour 1080p film should clock in at about 25GB, a 2 hour 4k film, at least 50GB.

If there only were a "tidal" for film, that streamed the native bluray remuxes. I'd actually pay for that.

Nice! Wanda Group can suck a fat one.
Except streaming quality is ****.

The bitrates need to be much much higher.

A 2 hour 1080p film should clock in at about 25GB, a 2 hour 4k film, at least 50GB.

If there only were a "tidal" for film, that streamed the native bluray remuxes. I'd actually pay for that.
4K on Netflix is not bad for streaming. I think it is the best in the biz right now. It clocks in at 25 Mbps, which is one-quarter the bitrate of a UHD Blu-ray. I do actually have to get really close to my TV to notice any artifacting or other compression anomalies. I still prefer a UHD Blu-ray, but I am not totally against streaming if HBO Max will be at least at Netflix quality.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter how pretty the picture is if the writing is trash - unless of course it's a special effects showcase.

Nice! Wanda Group

4K on Netflix is not bad for streaming. I think it is the best in the biz right now. It clocks in at 25 Mbps, which is one-quarter the bitrate of a UHD Blu-ray. I do actually have to get really close to my TV to notice any artifacting or other compression anomalies. I still prefer a UHD Blu-ray, but I am not totally against streaming if HBO Max will be at least at Netflix quality.
Netflix is closer to 15mbps for most content IIRC, AppleTV+ is 25mbps, although their issue is lack of content. Usually the biggest benefit to a BluRay over streaming is the better audio, PQ isn't really that much different unless you are sitting really close and some darker scenes.

Netflix is closer to 15mbps for most content IIRC, AppleTV+ is 25mbps, although their issue is lack of content. Usually the biggest benefit to a BluRay over streaming is the better audio, PQ isn't really that much different unless you are sitting really close and some darker scenes.
Audio is usually around 20 Mbps on UHD Blu-ray in my experience, which would take up all the bandwidth streaming services allocate for the whole stream. I agree it is the one thing streams lack in greatly.

So how much would it cost?
I assume Tom&Jerry would be free, but no way Matrix or Godzilla vs Kong be less than $30

Oh they'll be free quickly enough after release. Mulan is a prime example.

Considering wonderwoman is free to subscribers i could see these also being free and a valid reason for more people to subscribe to hbomax. Heck if they were being smart they would put a timeline on it. Active sub since before November 2020 wonder woman and all subsequent movie releases are free. Subscribe in December ww is 20 bucks.. and so on. It would encourage long term subscribers.

I didn't realize HBO Max charged for content beyond the regular subscription fee. (I've never used the service)

I didn't realize HBO Max charged for content beyond the regular subscription fee. (I've never used the service)
I don’t know that it does. Disney+ was the only one to try it I think.

They are running a deal right now until Jan 15, 6 months for $69.99 ($20 off). https://www.hbomax.com/

Says WW84 will be available for 31 days from theater release.

Still no Roku though. They have to get that straightened out.

I thought Matrix 4 was 2022? And they are only planning on doing this for 2021 movies.

This article says WW84 will be 4k, but I find zero mention of that on the HBOmax site.

WB must really be desperate to pull this move, and the movie theater chains must be pissed off big time. But I have always said F*ck the movie theaters, especially AMC. But sometimes companies have to take chances to survive / prosper, and this is a bold move.

I am all for 1st run movies at home on my new 65" TV. I know some people just "have" to have the movie theater experience... but how many of those are people who just want to get out of the house / away from screaming kids, etc.

Become a Patron!
Back